Homoeopathic Gems for the management of Alopecia
Dr Smrity Bhatia
Alopecia: It is a condition characterized by rapid and complete loss of hair in one,or more often, several round or oval patches. Usually on the scalp, beard area and other hairy areas of the body1.
There are different approaches of managing the cases of alopecia depending upon the presentations. Likewise, there are different repertories and therapeutic books which are very popular and helpful in dealing with Alopecia. But some of the clinical books, which are quick and time saving having significant effectiveness areabonden now a days; of those, important and useful booksare given below which can be dealt withimportant symptoms with medicines on the basis of location and causationin management of cases of Alopecia-
Samuel Lilienthal’s “Homoeopathic therapeutics”2 :
Falling out of the hair– alum, ambr, ars, baryta carb, bell, bov, calc carb, carb an, carbo veg, caust , chin, colchi, conium, ferr, fluor ac , graphi , hep ign, iod, kali bich, kali carb , kali iod, kreos, lyc, magn, merc, natrum carb., natrum mur , nitr acid. , paris quard , petr, phos ac , phos , plum , sars , sepia, sele, sil , staph , sulph acid , tab, thuja, zincum.
After severe acute disease – chin, ferr, calc, carb veg, hep, lyc, sil.
After confinement– calc, lyco, nat m., sulph
If caused by long grief–Ph.acid, sulph, staph,ign, lach
If by nervous or hysteric headache–calc, hep. sulph., nit.acid.,phos, sep, sil,sulph.
If caused by frequent sweat– merc
From syphilis– thuja
As regards the condition of the scalp and hair give for sensitiveness of the scalp– calc, baryta carb, carbo veg, china, hep, nat mur., sil, sulph.
For violent itching of scalp, especially if in consequences of old suppressed eruptions, give– graph, kal , lyco. sil, sulph.
For scales on the head– calc, graph, magn, staph.
For the disposition of the hair to turn gray, give–graph, lyc, phos ac., sulph ac.
For great dryness of the hair– calc, kalm, phosp ac.
When the hair is frequently covered with viscid sweat– chin, merc
For falling off the hair on other parts of the body are –
- In the eyebrows–Agar, bell, caust, kal.
- When the hair falls off on the sides of the head– Graph, Phosp
- On the forhead– arsen, natr m, phosp
- On the vertex–baryta c., graph, lyc,sep, zinc ,
- On the occiput – carb veg, petrol, phos,sil
- On the temples– calc, kali carb, lyc, natr mur.
For some places getting bald- cantharis,iod,phosp.
Externally– spirtusphosphoria few drops to a pint of distilled water, and after shaking, moisten well the scalp with it. Or dissolves a teaspoonful of table salt in a pint of water and rub it well over bald spaces
Falling off of whiskers –calc, graphites, natrum mur.
Of mustaches – kali, natrum mur. , plumbum met.
Of mons veneris – hell, natrum carb natr mur, rhus tox., sil.
John R. Kippax “Handbook of Diseases of the skin and their Homoeopathic treatment”.3
M.E. Douglas “Skin diseases,their description, etiology, diagnosis and treatment according to law of similia”.4
Most indicated Remedies in alopecia generally are3,4 –
- When the hair comes out in lumps, leaving bald patches– Aloes
- When it falls out in circular patches–Arsenic.alb.
- When bald spots on the temples – Calcarea carb.
- Bald spot on the head, after headache – Calcium sulphide
- Falling off of hair after severe illness, or after parturition- Carbo veg.
- Falling off of hair hair from eyebrows and pudendum- Heliborus
- Dry hair rapidly falling off with much dandruff- Kali carb.
- Falling off of the hair after severe acute diseases – Mancinella
- Falling out in tufts – Phosphorus
- Alopecia as a result of debility- Phosphoric acid
- The hair falls out in single spots and hair grows there – Vinca minor
1.Master J. Farokh Homoeopathic Approach to Dermatology.Second Revised Ed.New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers;(P) Ltd.,2006.
2. Lilienthal S. Homoeopathic therapeutics. Reprint edition New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers;(P) Ltd., 1996.
3. Kippax R.John Handbook of Diseases of the skin and their Homoeopathic treatment.5th ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; (P) Ltd.,1994.
4.Douglas M.E.Skin diseases,their description, etiology, diagnosis and treatment according to law of similia. Reprint edition. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers;(P) Ltd.,2001.
Dr Smrity Bhatia
Dr. M.P.K. Homoeopathic Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Jaipur,
A constitute college of Homoeopathy University ,Saipura, Sanganer, Jaipur -302029
Email id – email@example.com