Talking about breastfeeding, the Dr Pankaj Aggarwal says, “Homeopathy will greatly help mothers with nursing and breastfeeding difficulties. Homeopathy helps women with problems that can make it difficult for them to breastfeed successfully include mastitis, painful nipples and a slow milk supply. Breast milk gives babies the optimal start in life.”
It is important for mothers to feed their child but nowadays women avoid doing so because of certain body related issues they have or they might get afterwards, like breast sagging.
Following are some of the homeopathic remedies which can help mothers during this crucial period of their lives.
- Agnus castus- Remedy for suppression of the milk accompanied with depression.
- Belladonna- For the first signs of mastitis. The mother feels hot, red, throbbing. Very intense and sudden onset with pain and extreme tenderness in the breast.
- Bryonia – Can be use when the breast is hard, swollen and hot, but pale in color, rather than red.
- Borax 200C – An effective remedy for thrush in newborns. Distinctive white patches on the tongue and cheeks of the body. Extremely sensitive. They will be fast asleep and then are up as soon as they are put down. Startling at the slightest sounds. Also used for a mother with postpartum depression.
- Calcarea carbonica – It helps to stimulate milk production.
- Causticum -Used to successfully increase breast milk in rheumatic women
- Dulcamara- Use it when you are chilly and under-producing milk
- Nat mur- Useful for an oversupply of milk. There is a stoic sadness or grief with little or no crying and often only in private.
- Phytolacca -Can be used in mastitis for sore, cracked nipples, which hurt when the baby nurses. It is also useful for breast infections (mastitis) where there are painful lumps in the breast.
- Pulsatilla -When the person is depressed and tearful. She may weep while breastfeeding and needs a lot of support and company. Used if you are over producing milk. Also used for a milk supply that is erratic, meaning that is good, then it is low, then it is adequate again.
- Ricinus communis – For non-appearance of milk or to increase breast milk. It also increases its flow in nursing women. Castor oil should never be given to prepare a woman for labor, nor for constipation in pregnancy at any time.