Reported by Dr. Alexander Martiushev
MD, PhD, M.F. Hom. (London)
125212 Adm. Makarova Street, 35-52
This was 15th seminar of Dr. Ajit Kulkarni at Moscow and we were enriched this time with the important subject of “Neurology and Homoeopathy”. We planned for two days of this vast subject and we received profound and deep material – a plethora of concepts, miasmatic approach, cases with their analyses, repertory etc. – to ponder over and to utilize in our practice and which will also become 20th book of a part of “seminar series” of Ajit as our organization publishes all literature of Ajit in Russian language.
The first session was allocated to introductory part to build up the structure of presentation. “The nervous system, our body’s primary communication network, is a complex, sophisticated system that regulates and coordinates innumerable body activities. It is, however, vulnerable to various disorders. It can be damaged from trauma, infections, degeneration, structural defects, tumors, blood flow disruption, autoimmune disorders etc. There are more than 600 diseases of the nervous system, ranging from brain tumors, epilepsy, pain, muscle weakness, Parkinson’s disease and stroke as well as less familiar ones such as fronto-temporal dementia”.
Ajit then focused on important aspects of modern life and stress. “Our modern-day lifestyle promotes our living in a chronic condition of stress and subject to an increasing array of environmental toxins. These two conditions are cited as primary causes for autonomic nervous system imbalance and resulting hormonal disturbances...”
“Our emotions are invisible energies in motion that move through our bodies with lightening-fast speed, flooding us with signals of either pleasure or pain… Like brush strokes on a blank canvas, our emotions color our world with contrast and meaning…”
“Emotions have as much to do with the body as with the brain. Today, the idea of the body and brain being completely separate is fast being replaced by the holistic model of mind, body and spirit being intimately connected. It is here that homeopathy, the salubrious holistic therapy, comes through for the sufferers of a wide range of neurological conditions. Every case in homeopathy confirms the mind-body, mind-nerves co-relation and underscores the importance of holistic approach in medicine, through its curative effects, given the vast armamentarium of unique homeopathic remedies”.
Ajit explained in a brief way Papez Circuit Theory. James W. Papez was the first researcher to explain emotions in a neurofunctional way in 1937 and extension of this theory by Paul MacLean in 1949. Ajit emphasized how human thought is a primary cause of diseases. He quoted Dr. Manu Kothari from National Journal of Homoeopathy, India, “ The human brain, like a gland, secretes thoughts. Human thought is an exalted entity. The trouble is, if it has been powerful for good, it has been potent for evil. For mankind, it is not the pathology- ridden brain that is so much of a problem, as the so-called normal healthy brain, whose thought secretions spawn weapons and wars, creeds and conflagrations, garbage and genocide. You ask the plant world, animal world and Mother Earth as to what are the real diseases that affect the human brain. The reply would be: ‘Human Thought’.”
Today’s scenario is that much of the advances in neurology have been investigative and diagnostic, rather than therapeutic. Much is written on every disease, but little can be done by the way of treatment. The latest edition of Principles of Neurology by Adams, Victor and Ropper, chapter “Diseases of the Spinal Cord”: “In conclusion, it is always well to remind oneself that of the more than 30 diseases of the spinal cord, effective means of treatment are available for only a few and not one of the treatable diseases is genuinely of the neurons or neuroglia.” A global survey of stroke by Kurtzke showed that survival in stroke is dependent not on who is treating but on who is being treated.
Ajit presented his favourite subject of human symbolic language: Brain represents the computer, the switchboard. Nerves represent communication, receptive reporters, vitality and energy. Spine represents flexible support of life while brain diseases represent incorrect computerized beliefs, stubbornness and refusing to change old patterns. He contented that brain is made up of 75% water, 60% white matter (dendrites and axons) and 40% gray matter (neurons) and 60% fat and that the very structure is adaptogenic par excellence to respond to potentized doses of homoeopathy that touches at the subtle level of energy related to brain, nerves and mind! Ajit presented the subject of neurology through 14 cases. All cases were repertorized with appropriate rubrics and there was inter-active group discussion. At the end of each case, a brief portrait of a remedy was given with ‘learning’ in each case. We present few cases in brief.
The first case was of a doctor suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. Ajit prescribed Kali arsenicosum 200 once every 15 days for two months as the case presented with synthesis of Kali and Ars. However, a state came when there was no further progress and in the follow up the patient gave two new symptoms – emotions striking at stomach and starting from noise. They developed after her daughter went at another city for the first time away from home for university examination. Ajit selected Kali carb 30C two times for one month and it yielded a good response.
Learning: When you give a remedy from one group and it doesn’t work, see if any remedy from the same group is indicated. It is better to study the cation-anion combination in a fresh way by revisiting the case.
71 years old male patient suffering from repeated Transient Ischemic Attacks (TIA). He sustained brain stroke during 2002. Since then right hand trembling. Unable to eat without a spoon. June 2007 – can’t find right words; pronouncing words difficult, became slow in general. 200/100 mm of Hg. Weakness of legs since then. 4th sept 2007 – he felt sinking and fell on the ground. Speech affected.
Investigations: EEG – nil. ECG – Old infarcts. CT scan – Microcephalopathy. Atrophy of cortex of brain. Sub-acute brain stroke. Doppler study – Inner carotid artery blocked.
Symptoms: Pain and numbness of right leg, pain in thighs, < motion, walking, > rest. Staggering gait. Wants to work. Takes overwork. Desire- sweets4. Milk4. Skin- Since 6 years, eruptions started without itching; < sun exposure. A lot of allergies. Solar dermatitis. Stools – hard, knotty. Straining++. Renal calculi. Warm-blooded. Desire for open air. Intolerance of stuffy room.
Past history: Primary complex (TB) during childhood. Burn injury. Renal stones so far 3 times. Stricture of urethra.
Family history: Father – large mole. PFF – Ca. All relatives from paternal side – HTN.
Life space: Childhood: I got everything in the family, grazing the cows; brought up in a village. Married life nice. My wife is perfect. Can’t tolerate injustice. I will not succumb. I had some problems with my boss and with my colleagues. “I am right, I will not take a lawyer. I will fight for my rights and for the rights of others.”
Data from daughter: Highly principled, hence suffered a lot. Perseverant. Industrious. Capable. Decisive. Pragmatic. Energetic. Independent. Technocrat. “Everything done by me”. A lot of friends. Can be angry and snappish. The whole village respects him. He constructed a big church bell. Devoted to everybody in the village.
Chronic constitutional remedy was selected as Aurum sulphuricum 6 CH daily one dose at bedtime and the patient was followed for three years. Initially Aur-sulph was given daily and then once every week. The patient improved in every respect, had no ischemic attack
Learning: In the absence of the ‘pathological’ mental symptoms, it was imperative to value the healthy mind that clearly showed the nobility aspect. Pathological generals, were then united with the whole, to clinch Aur-sulph. Low potency frequent repetitions were followed in view of senility, poor susceptibility and advanced pathology.
Male, 24 years.
A case of grand mal epilepsy since his age of 3 years. Seizures < before any illness such as colds, etc.; < on falling to sleep and before waking in the morning. Since age of 14 years, recurrent hay fever. On anti-epileptic drugs since 21 years. Now the doses have been increased since three months.
He can draw only the pictures of house, trees, flowers since his age of 3 years. “Computer, TV, cat” is what his life. Childish. He says, “In school (MR), one girl was being irritated by some students”. This story happened six years ago but he is telling the same story again and again. No idea about day and night. Can sit on computer at any time and read a lot loudly hundred pages every day. He likes expensive things to purchase such as books, toys, clothes etc. Speaks, eats and walks rapid. Hurried; fast driving on a bicycle. Robot way of behavior. Untidy. Obstinate, if he wants something. Manipulative.
Can be violently angry and beats brother. Thinks himself great. Constantly talking incoherently in interview. Loves cat; sleeps with a cat in bed. Laughs stupidly at funny movies. Irritable when offended.
> sea-shore in general, mentally too.
F/H – Mo-HTN. Fa – Angina and renal calculi. MGM – Ca breast. MGF and PGM– Stomach ulcer.
- Mind – obstinate
- Mind – hurry
- Mind – childish behavior
- Mind – extravagance
- Mind – gestures, makes – repeating the same actions
- Generals – seaside; at the – amel.
- Generals – sleep – before – agg.
- Generals – sleep – after sleep – agg.
- Generals – convulsions – epileptic
- Chronic constitutional remedy was selected as Veratrum album 1M once every 15 days.
- Intercurrent – Tuberculinum 1M.
The patient was followed up for four years. The improvement began after two months and it occurred at many levels. Convulsions stopped, communication improved and he became calmer than before.
Learning: Ajit focused on ‘extravagance’ as the central feature in this case. Everything was revolving around excess in this boy. Seaside < was a point in favour of Ver-alb in this case.
Case no. IV
Mr. A. D.
- Date of consultation 27th September, 2008. 19 years old young man. Born 1988. Spinal muscular atrophy diagnosed during 1992
- When 3 years old, started to fall frequently and was unstable. Gradually became handicapped.
- 2002 – Varicella then became worse.
- 2003 – In summer became bedridden without any cause.
- MGF-Cerebro-vascular stroke
- Feels weakness, tiredness, no movement of extremities and inability to stand.
- After emotional stress: Blood pressure increases, pulse over 100. Then headache, pain in joint, stress of muscles and constipation. Tendency to depression. I brood a lot over my illness. Likes meat3.
- Making money. I started 2 years ago, on financial markets – foreign exchange. Analytical. Prefers to have company. I am the only one with this disease in my city. I like the standard of life. I don’t purchase cheap products.
- Dreams- Murder, nightmares.
- I cannot walk. I move being on a wheel chair. But I can’t sit or get down from it. I am angry and sad. I am aggressive. I make argues. Loud voice. I have a strong fear that someone will kill me. I don’t know why I feel this.
- Constipation; hard knotty stools.
- Acne; on face and on back
- Chronic constitutional remedy: Plumbum metallicum LM1 daily one dose at bedtime for 10 days and then a gap of 10 days.
- I am doing well. I was depressed, but now I feel bright and really good right now.
- Pain in arms, legs, which used to get worse in humid weather is less.
- I am off financial market due to recession. Now I work in designing interiors.
- Dreams not related to murder, violence etc. Now such dreams are less and some pleasant dreams are there.
- Stammering is ok and not more.
- Likes coffee3. Coldness of hands and feet less after Plb-met. Able to cross the legs. Acne less; face clear.
- More motivated and started gym then lost weight. He made some interesting designs after Plb-met; they are available on website. He learnt designs within 6 months (which usually requires 2 years).
- I have begun strong physical exercises. Pimples on face painful. Coldness of hands less.
- Plb-met LM2 and then LM3. Daily one dose for 10 days and then a gap of 10 days. Then again Plb-met.
- Kali Phosphoricum 6x. Daily 2 pills at bedtime.
- Feels that non-medication makes me worse. I am losing energy when no treatment with me. If I am on your medicines, I feel energetic. I can raise myself being on a chair and to get down from it in a far better way.
- Interested in spiritual matters and metaphysics.
- Depression Spasm Paralysis
- Depression Athrepsia
- Irritation Degeneration
Three independent currents evident:
- Metabolic disturbance (diabetes, albuminuria etc).
- Degeneration (softening, sclerosis, atrophy etc.)
- Trophic changes (hernia, tumors, paralysis etc.)
- Excessive hyperaesthesia; to touch and odors. Anaesthesia: of right side of body; of paralyzed side. Alternating H. andA.. H. of one part and A. of another
- Cramps, then insensibility, then emaciation with coldness.
- Pains: Of multiple neuritis. Spasmodic, drawing or tearing; periodical. Terrible lightening. < motion, cold, touch, night. > pressure; stretching (with a desire to). With cold hands and feet, constipation, sweat.
- Violent contractions. Constrictive or convulsive sensation in internal organs (Lach.). Contractions, with paralysis.
- Jerking: Alternately of flexors and extensors; during sleep.
- Convulsions: from cerebral sclerosis or tumour; after suppressed eczema; periodical; uremic. Status epilepticus.
- “Of all tissues of the body, especially of brain, nervous system and spinal cord.”
- Sclerotic degeneration, from hyperplasia of neuroglia in dorsal column; locomotor ataxia of tabes dorsalis (posterior spinal sclerosis); amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Multiple sclerosis. Neuralgias of sclerosis. (Thall.). Arteriosclerosis.
- After suppressed neuralgias or rheumatism; after brain sclerosis; after tremors (Merc.); from centre to periphery (opposite to Cupr-ac.). Slowly developing; from paresis to paralysis of lead workers. Of single parts, of extensor muscles; loss of personal identity due to cerebral ischemia or embolism. Sphincters generally not affected (unlike Carbn-s.).
- Functional paralysis (Hell.). Paralysis agitans. Bulbar paralysis. Anterior polio-myelitis (infantile paralysis). Paralysis with stinging (Plb-ac.). Hemiplegia; post apoplectic.
- Wrist drop. Paralysis of (right) arm; leg. Paralysis from spinal lesion.
- Emaciation; excessive and rapid. Progressive amyotrophy (due to cerebrospinal sclerosis or atrophy of nerve trunks).
- Brain/nerve syphilis.
- Local atrophy: In paralyzed part (wasting palsy), of neuritic (painful) part; in sciatic part; wasting of upper parts; atrophied limbs with plump body (like Calc-fl.).
- Intracranial tumors.
- Prominent both pathology and symptoms (pathology overshadows symptoms Crat.).
- Sluggish, paralytic, functions: (Alum., Carb-v., Hell., Op.); responses, perception, ideation, movements, stool, urine, dermic responses.
- High living; people who have been egoistic, selfish throughout their lives; enjoyed the best of everything.
- Great anguish and uneasiness (Ars.), with sighs. Childish. Craves only things prohibited.
- Cheating and deceiving (Op., Tarent.). Feigns sickness or exaggerates symptoms. Changeable.
- Mental depression. Deep despondency. Quiet melancholy; company or crowd <. Slow perception- ideation. Increasing slowness and apathy (Hell.). Intellectual apathy; loath to talk. Paretic dementia. Amnesic aphasia. Mental alienation; preceding paralysis. Slowed intellect but intense emotions. Children exposed to lead dust from exhaust of auto’s become mentally retarded.
- Attacks of obscured personal identity (like Alum.).
- Analogues: Alum., Ars., Carbn-s, Cocc., Cic., Con., Cup-m., Kali-ph., Lach., Phos., Nux-v., Op., Sul., Thall., Vanad.
- Kali-m. (indicates the earlier stage, before degeneration; it is a simpler Plb.).
- Merc and Plb. both have tremors followed by paralysis (agitations). Plb. will antidote lead poisoning upon mercurial base. Hence Plb. is chronic of Merc.
- Aur-m. is counterpart of Plb.
Materialistic attitude to life, fear of murder and hard, knotty stools were the entry points to select Plb-met. Ajit explained the theme of materialism in Plumbums. He elaborated on metals. Metals are almost all very deep and long acting as poisons and curative agents as well. Both pathogenetically and clinically metals do not show effects from a dose or two, but begin their (deep-seated) action after a prolonged ingestion, and the effects go onward long after discontinuing it. He held that lead goes ahead of gold in depth and damaging action. Its stealthily / insidiously but steadily progressing pathology is very slow but sure. Metals often exhibit a single miasm, strong in influence at the current time.
Apart from our regular group, many neurologists who are interested in “homeopathy in neurology” attended the seminar and workshop and I am sure there will be a definite place for homeopathy in their brain-box, given the intrinsic merit of homeopathy in neurological cases.