In Greek the term ‘sarcode’ means fleshy.
Sarcodes imply protoplasm of animals as distinguished from vegetable protoplasm.
In homeopathy some of the sarcodes are proved medicines.
They are obtained from healthy endocrine or ductless glands or normal secretions of living human organs & lower animals.
The secretions are mostly hormones.
Sarcodes are medicines prepared from healthy animal tissues and secretions especially milk and hormones.
In fact sarcodes belong to animal kingdom, include products of animal glands and endocrine gland as a whole and secretion. Hormones are quick acting and only a minute amount may have a profound effect on metabolism. Hormones are either proteins (eg:- insulin) steriods (eg.cortisone) or relatively simple organic compounds (eg. adrenalin)
Doctrine of signature: sarcodes stimulate and activate those organs effectively , from which parallel animal organs effectively , from which parallel animal organs they have been extracted or prepared.. eg- pepsinum from stomach of pig act best on digestive disorders
- Sarcodes belong to the less proved group of remedies.
- Sarcodes are mainly stated to be the organopathic drugs.
- All sarcodes are deep acting remedies.
- Deficient functioning or hyper functioning of organs.
- Symptoms are related to sources of preparation.
- Headache worse on waking up in the morning, throbbing with nausea and vomiting.
- Obstinate constipation.
- complaints are aggravation due to intake of milk lac can, lac dul,
- Profuse urination with increased thirst.- so they can be used in diabetes
- Malignancy, Tendency to over growth
LIST OF MEDICINES
- corpus luteum
- fel tauri
- lac caninum
- lac felinum
- lac vaccinum
- lac vaccinum coagulatum
- lac vaccinum defloratum
- lac vaccinum flos
- lac vaccinum fermentatum
- lac vaccinum butyricum
- valpis fel
1. Sarcodes from whole endocrine glands
Thyreoidinum — of sheep or calf
Pitutarium posterium — the posterior portion of the pituitary gland of sheep
2. Sarcodes from Healthy Secretion
Hormone produced by the adrenal glands and may also be synthetised. Its synthetic salt “Adrenalin hydrocloricum”.
- Adrenocorticotropinum (Syn-Acth, Corticotrophin)
- A polypeptide hormone secreted by the pitutary gland which controls the adrenal glands.
- Insulinum - A pancreatic hormone that controls “Sugar Metabolism” in the body
- Pepsinum - A digestive ‘enzyme’ produced in the stomach, which converts proteins into peptones produced from the stomach of hog or pig (secretin)
- Lac felinum – cat’s milk
- Lac caninum – dog’s milk
- Lac vaccinum – cow’s milk
- Lac humanum – human breast milk
- Lac leoninum – lion’s milk
- Lac equinum – horse’s milk
- Lac caprinum – goat’s milk
- Lac delphinum – dolphin’s milk
- Lac vaccinum coagulatum – curd
- Lac vaccinum defloratum – skimmed milk
- Lac vaccinum flos – cream of milk
Sarcodes from Extract
- Orchitinum (Testes)
- Oophorinum (Ovarian of cow, sheep or pig)
- Pancreatinum (from pancreases of beef, containing digestive enzymes)
- Corpus luteum( from ovaries of pregnant animals)
4) Other sarcodes
Cholesterninum A principle Steroid in higher animals, main constituent of gall bladder & bile
- fel tauri –Fresh Ox-gall bladder
- Valpis fel –Fresh fox-gall bladder
- Ingluvin — Gizzard of a fowl
- Lecithin — yolk of egg and animal brain
- Colostrum-first milk after delivery
5) Sarcodes derivatives
- Urea,Uric acid ,Lactic acid
Adrenalin action is stimulation of the sympathetic nerve endings
- Its chief therapeutic use depends on its vaso-constriction action; therefore a most powerful and prompt astringent and haemostatic.
- Hemorrhagic condition not due to defective coagulation of the blood.
- Therapeutically, Adrenalin has been suggested in acute congestion of lungs, Asthma, Grave’s and Addison’s diseases, arterio-sclerosis, chronic aortitis, angina pectoris, haemophilia, chlorosis, hay fever, serum rashes, acute urticaria, etc.
- Dr. P. Jousset reports success in treating, homoeopathically, cases of angina and of aortitis, sub-acute and chronic.
- The symptom guiding to this is, Sensation of thoracic constriction with anguish.
- This, with vertigo, nausea and vomiting have been produced by the drug.
- Abdominal pain. Shock or heart failure during anesthesia, as it causes very prompt rise of blood pressure by its action on nerve endings in the vessel wall.
- The epithelium lining of gall bladder and the larger ducts
- For cancer of the liver.
- Obstinate hepatic engorgements.
- Opacities of the vitreous.
- Jaundice; gallstones.
- Cholesterine is the physiological opponent of Lecithin.
- Both seem to play some unknown part in the growth of tumors.
- Gallstones and insomnia.
- From the yolk of egg and animal brains
- Lecithin has a favorable influence upon the nutritive condition and especially upon the blood hence its use in anaemia and convalescence, neurasthenia and insomnia.
- Increasing the number of red corpuscles and amount of hemoglobin.
- Excellent galactagogue, renders milk more nourishing and increases quantity.
- Tuberculosis, causing marked improvement in nutrition and general improvement.
- Tired, weak, short breath, loss of flesh; symptoms of general break-down.
- Sexually weak.
- Testicular Extract.
- Sufferings of Climacteric,
- Debility. Sexual weakness. Senility.
- The use of a testicular extract in cases of senile decay and nervous breakdown was first proposed by Brown-Sequard, and formed one of the examples by which he illustrated his doctrine of “inner secretions.
- Orch. has been used with success, in the triturations, in climacteric sufferings; and in old-school practice in the sequelae of ovariotomy, in cases of debility, sexual weakness, and premature senile decay
- Extract from the ovary of cow / sheep or pig.
- Sufferings following the excision of ovaries – Climacteric disturbances.
- Ovarian cyst.
- Complaints > during menses (like zinc met lach)
When placental extract is administered to nursing mothers the amount of milk is increased, and the infant receiving this milk grows more rapidly.
It acts as galactagogue
THYROIDINUM (dried thyroid gland of the sheep)
- In myxoedema and cretinism
- Effective in undescended testicle in boys.
- Goitre, Mammary tumor, Uterine fibroids.
- Psoriasis associated with adiposity (not in developing stage). ** Skin dry, Eczema
THYRO-IODINUM ( iodothyrinum)
Thyroiodine is the active principle isolated form thyroid gland, a substance rich in Iodine and nitrogen,
- Clinical - Goiter. Obesity. Urine, increase of.
THYREOTROPINUM [Thyreotrophic hormone- Thyroid stimulating hormone)]
Action on the hypercholesterol level in the blood; this lowering of the cholesterol level is paradoxical, since the level is known to be low in Basedow’s disease, and higher in cases of myxoedema. This is not an action which conforms to the law of similars, but an organotherapeutic action, which has the ability to stimulate or to slow down
Increases the duodenal secretion, emulsifies fats and increases the peristaltic action of the intestines.
- Liquefies bile and acts as a purgative and chologogue.
- Disordered digestion, diarrhoea, and pain in nape of neck are among its chief symptoms.
- Obstruction of gall ducts.
- Biliary calculi.
- Eructations, gurgling in stomach and epigastric region.
- Violent peristaltic movements.
- Tendency to sleep after eating. (nux vom)
- Symptoms erratic, pains constantly flying from one part to another changing from side to side every few hours or days.
- Very forgetful, absent-minded; makes purchases and walks away without them.
- Cross, irritable; child cries and screams all the time, especially at night (Jal., Nux, Psor.).
- One nostril stuffed up, the other free and discharging; these conditions alternate; discharge acrid, nose and lip raw (Arum, Cepa).
- Diphtheria and tonsillitis
- Throat: sensitive to touch externally (Lach.); < by empty swallowing (Ign.); constant inclination to swallow, painful, almost impossible (Mer.); pains extend to ears (Hep., Kali bi.); begins on left side (Lach.).
Serviceable in almost all cases when it is required to dry up milk (Asaf. to bring back or increase it, Lac. d.).
- Loss of milk while nursing without any know cause (Asaf.).
- Backache: intense, unbearable, across super-sacral region, extending to r. natis and r. sciatic nerve; < by rest and on first moving (Rhus.); spine aches from base of brain to coccyx, very sensitive to touch or pressure (Chin. s., Phos., Zinc.).
- Constipation: with ineffectual urging (Anac., Nux): faeces dry and hard (Bry., Sulph.); stool large, hard, great straining, lacerating anus; painful extorting cries.
- Car sickness
- Profuse flow of urine during pain
- Calm during danger
- Play and pleasure.
- Sinusitis with vertigo
LAC FELINUM- clinical –keratitis (berridge)
- Acute pain from vertex down left eye and temple
- Excruciating headache so that she runs from room to room.
- Shooting from inflamed eye to temple and eyebrow, aggr. at early morn; hazy sight; dull iris.
- Ciliary neuralgia, < by lying on left side; pains in eyes back into head, extremely sharp
- Great photophobia to natural and artificial light, < reading or writing; general lassitude; loss of appetite; constipation.