Book Review by Dr Suja Pillai
Author – Dr Narendra Mehta
Full name of the book -Uunderstanding of the homoeopathic materia medica
First edition- January 2009
Editor- Vibha Bhatia
Dedicated- to the memory of author’s mother
Published by- Dr.Narendra D.Mehta,Mumbai
Printed by- Sangeeta Printing Press,Mumbai
This book provide valuable guide lines to students and practitioners to understand the core of each remedy, methods of recollecting and applying in clinical practice in an innovative way. The idea behind writing this book by the author was to make understanding of homoeopathic medicine simple and this is a new way of learning material medica.
Introduction to the Author
- Dr.Narendra D.Mehta is an eminent homoeopath belonging to the predictive group.Completed allopathy in early thirties and then joined homoeopathy. He is practicing homoeopathy for the last 22 years.
- He has served as a honorary homoeopathic physician in the the Jivdaya clinic Kalbadevi.
- Treasurer of Indian Institute of Homoeopathic Physicians(Mumbai Branch)
- Active member of Santa cruz Medical Association.
- Presented paper on Wilm’s Tumour at Bangalore.
- Other works-‘The Follow Up’ ‘Homoeopathy reality CD series.
Salient Features of the Book
- The concept of the book was developed in one of the national workshop for predictive homoeopathy, where the author presented a lecture on the ‘understanding and development of rubrics’.
- In that lecture he presented the rubric ‘POSITIVE’ and how different medicines evolved from the positive rubric.This concept was well accepted by the delegates and this inspired him to write the book.
- The idea behind writing this book was to make understanding of homoeopathic medicine simple.
- This is an earnest endeavor to simplify the method of recollecting the symptoms rather than just memorizing them.
- The book is replete with invaluable perceptions and hints for devising the right remedy.
- It helps to understand the base of homoeopathic remedies correctly so that homoeopathic prescription is made easy and simple.
- Cover page of the book has the picture of Dr.Samuel Hahnemann with an emblem.
- In this book only ‘POLYCREST’ remedies are presented as the author believes that polycrest medicines are frequently used and they are common constitutions.
- Twenty four polycrest remedies are described in the book.
- Remedies are arranged alphabetically.
- Each remedy is described by its key word, author’s experiences about the remedy, causative factors, aggravation, amelioration and constitution of the remedy.
- Kent’s Materia Medica
- Clarke’s Materia Medica
- Allen’s Keynotes
- Repertories given in CARA
In this book the author has expressed his thankfulness to his family, relatives ,colleagues and friends for their support and contribution in creation of this book
- How to study a medicine
- Arsenicum Album
- Ferrum Metallicum
- Hepar Sulphur
- Natrum Muriaticum
- Nux Vomica
- Platinum Metallicum
- Tarentula Hispanica
- Deals with the difficulty the author used to face while studying a particular medicine.
- Repertory and Materia medica are complementary to each other.
- How he developed the concept to write this book.
Chapter2-How to study a material medica & medicine?
- Materia medica and Repertory are the two founding pillars, to study a remedy.
- Base of each remedy must be known in order to understand and recollect the remedy.
- Fundamental nature of the patient is matched with the fundamental nature of the remedy in homoeopathic prescribing.
Chapter3-Arsenicum Album : Insecurity-possessive-fastidious-anxiety of health-paranoid-company desire.
Chapter4-belladona : Suddenness-heat, redness, pain-spasm twitching-violence-delusion-over sensitiveness.
Chapter5-camphor : Crisis-pain-cover-contrary-antidote.
Chapter6-carcinosin : Malleable-precocity-sensitive-artist-desire but agg-destructive.
Chapter7-causticum : Gradually-social justice-imbecility-pessimistic-hypersensitivity and over reactivity.
Chapter8-ferrum metallicum : Contradiction-always right-excited-anaemia-cardiac-sleep.
Chapter9-hepar sulphur : Oversensitive-slightest pressure-hurry-abusive-offensiveness-perspiration.
Chapter10-hyoscyamus niger: Passive-spasms,convulsion,twitching-jealousy suspiciousness-obscenity ridiclousness-mania-delirium.
Chapter11-ignatia : Exaggeration-suddenness-spasm convulsion-contradiction-sentimental-sighing.
Chapter12-iodium : Steam engine-industrious-hurry-emaciation-hypertrophy-rapid digestion.
Chapter13-lachesis : Hyperstimulation-loquacity-sensitiveness tightness-suppression of discharges-sleep-haemorrhage.
Chapter 14-lycopodium: Cowardice-responsibility aversion-flatulence-sensitiveness-relaxation-dictatorial.
Chapter15-mercurius : Instability-defence-restless-impulses-perspiration salivation-tremor.
Chapter16-natrum muriaticum : Slave-industrious-emaciation-timidity-headache-dryness.
Chapter17-nux vomica – Work is worship-strong sense of duty-stimulants-sensitive-irritable-sleepless.
Chapter18-opium : Contented-painlessness-torpid-stertorous breathing-relaxation-sweating.
Chapter19-phosphorous : Glow-dictatorial-magnetism-haemorrhage-violent-burning.
Chapter20-platinum : Conceit-self esteem-sexuality-contemptuous-sensitiveness-cramps.
Chapter21-pulsatilla : Weeping-changeability-consolation-discharges bland-bitterness-thirstlessness.
Chapter22-sepia : Stasis-hormone-relaxation-indifferent-sadness-coldness.
Chapter23-stramonium : Out of control-violence-fear terror-illusion,hallucination,delusion-sexual excitement-convulsion twitching.
Chapter24-sulphur : Heat burning-pseudo-flushes-redness and burning-offensiveness-itching.
Chapter25-tarentula hispanica : Super power-restlessness-dancing and music-destructiveness-insanity-sexual mania.
Chapter26-tuberculinum : Malicious-unpredictable-destructiveness-desire changes-desire sex-perspiration.
- Language of the book is simple and easy to understand.
- Facilitate understanding of homoeopathic remedies and their bases easily.
- Simplify the method of recollecting the symptoms of a drug.
- Homoeopathic prescription is made easy and simple.
- Useful reference book for busy practitioners.
- Only polycrest remedies are prescribed.
- Number of polycrest remedies described are also less in number.
- Important polycrest remedies like Calcareacarb,Staphysagria,Thuja etc are not described.
Book Review by Dr.Suja Pillai
Email : email@example.com