Postgraduate students and Interns of the National Institute of Homoeopathy are on strike and agitation since few days.
SIMILIMA team publishing the arguments and facts from both side – Let us have a creative discussion to solve the problems at the one and only national institute of Homoeopathy
“The interns & PGs of NIH at the same time running a parallel OPD, so that patient care facilities is not going to be hampered” – Agitators
From the students side
- Though NIH is a central govt. run institute & a huge amount of grant is being sanctioned regularly for its smooth functioning but it is unfortunate that the administration cannot provide the minimum facilities for the proper care of the patient.
- Astonished to know that the minimum health care facilities , like- (a) instrument for measuring blood pressure in most of the OPDs are not functioning properly (b) non-availability of weighing machines in most of the OPDs (c) no proper examination room.
- Most of the pathological tests are not done here, the quality of radiological investigations are very poor & USG facility which was once upon a time available , is not functioning for more than one year
- Without informing hospital section our leaves were reduced drastically from 23 to 15 for PGTs & from 14 to 12 for interns in a year solely by director.
- NIH is being in equivalent standard to the AIIMS but there is a huge disparity faced by the interns & PGTs regarding the stipend. We are getting less than half the stipend in comparison to AIIMS. We had already notified this issue repeatedly to the Director of NIH and Joint secretary of Dept. of AYUSH New Delhi but till date we had not received any positive response from these authorities.
- NIH being the only central institute in Homoeopathy had no house staff till date. Without one year house staff as per gazette we are not eligible for applying in MO & RMO posts.
- We need permanent enclosure of BHMS degree of WBUHS in second schedule of Homoeopathic Central Council Act 1973 as early as possible.
- We are living in a very horrifying and insecure state of condition in the PG Hostel campus as our director denied us to provide minimum facilities of our living.
- We have to work about 60 hours in a week even without getting minimum interval after 12 hours of night duty though in parallel institute doctors usually have day off after night duty.
- All the original documents regarding our academic career have been submitted to the authority of NIH at the time of our admission, against which no receipt has been given to us till date. We had repeatedly asked for the receipt from the Director & PG co-ordinator, but they not only repeatedly turned down our request but also said that if anything unfortunate happens to our documents they will not be held responsible.
- Even a small matter of issuing of I-CARD is being neglected for as long as 6 months after admission.
- Our Female Doctor Colleagues are feeling insecure in our own campus because they have to go more than 2 kms distance to reach our hospital without any official transport facilities even at night without any i-card of the institute.
From the other side
Many of the above matters are not come in the preview of Director but should be discussed and finalized by Ministry
Interns & PGs are using harsh insulting languages towards director
Racism – some students can’t tolerate a non- Bengali director
Even though Director entrusted HODs to discuss and solve the issues – students are not interested to solve the issues
Many PGs want stipend only…not interested to become a good postgraduate.
What next ?
We are requesting the authority, PGs and Interns to sit together and solve the issues for a better future of Homoeopathy.
One thing we realized during our visit to NIH – academic standards are deteriorating comparing to other Homoeopathic institute In India (Even though many great Homeopathy teachers are there) – because of the terrible shortage of teaching staff at NIH.
One Example – In CR department – there is only one permanent teacher to manage UG students and three batches of PG students!!
The largest OPD & IPD is the main attraction at NIH – Patients are coming from long distance even from neighboring states. So we must provide everything to the patients - a better treatment with all standard facilities including latest investigation .