World’s lightest metal
Highly active in pure state
3rd most abundant of the metals forming 2.5% of the earth crust.
In human body too it is the 3rd most abundant cation after Na &Ca.
It has an intermediate position between alkalis and transition metals—alkali earth metals
It is discovered by Sir Hemphery Davy (Na, K, Mg, Cl, Ba, Bo).
Symbol – Mg
Group – II A (alkaline earth metal) (Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, Ba, Ra)
Series – 3rd
Atomic no – 12
Atomic weight – 24.302 amu
- Mg is a salt. It is odorless, tasteless& insoluble in alcohol but soluble in dilute acids.
- Mg is brilliant silver white metal sold in form of ribbon and wire.
- Lightness of Mg has earned it a place in aerospace and electronics (Making electronic devices, air planes, missiles, fire works etc.)
- Making alloys, Mg forms an active alloy with lead (Mg2Ph) that readily absorbs O2 from air.
- Mg amalgam can be prepared by heating Mg with Mercury.
- Mg was used as a laxalive, antacid. Since time, Mg is used as a purgative medicine.
- In organic chemistry, it is used as an intermediate for introduction of new radicals.
- It has high affinity for O2 and hence used as a reducing agent.
- In the serum, its contents 2-4 mg. Mg is particularly important in respect to germination. Sperms are rich in Mg and stimulate sexual function.
- Brain, muscle and testes are rich in magnesium.
- It is an intracellular iron. It is useful in signalling , enzyme activation and catalysis.
- Green leafy veg – Spinach, Nuts- Cashew, almonds, beans Soyabeans,pumpkin seeds.
- Whole grain buck wheat flour, Barley.
- Lowfat vanilla
Due to excessive loss of Mg in urine, GI system disorders, that cause loss of Mg or and absorption or chronically law intake of Magnesium.
Signs and Symptoms
- GI symptoms – Loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting
- CVS symptoms – Irregular heart beat, palpitation and HTN, Kidney stones.
- Nervous Symptoms – Disorientation, tired feeling, sleep disorders irritability.
Mg toxicity associated with Kidney failure .A large dose of laxatives and antacid causes Mg excess.
Nausea diarrhea loss of appetite and muscle weakness, low BP and irregular heart beat.
- Magnesium Carbonicum (Carbonate of Magnessium)
- Magnesium Muriaticum (Mureate of Magnesium)
- Magnesium phospohoricum (phosphate of Magnesium)
- Magnesium Sulphuricum (Epsom salt)
- Mag Flouricum
- Mag bromatum
- Mat Iodatum
- Mag aceticum
- Mag borocitricum
- Mag usta
- Mag selecatum
Stout, fair flabby, skin is pale, puffy, oily and waxy with slow healing and scar formation. Premature loose skin, hangs down with lax fiber
TEMPERAMENT : NERVOUS
THERMAL : Chilly, very sensitive to cold.
Miasm : Psoric
SPHERE OF ACTION
All magnesium remedies act on GI tract ,sexual organs especially uterus, NS, Musles, liver and GB, prostate, nails etc. Magnesium shows more affinity towards right side.
PATHO PHYSIOLOGICAL ACTION
Magnesium injections reduce body temperature.
Mg ions are a depressant of CNS and neuro muscular transmission. Mg++ relaxes muscle. In heart Mg slows the rate of impulse formation at SA node. The intestinal action of Mg salts need not be concerned with a purgative action as is known of MgSO4. With MgSO4 the fluidity of stool depends not upon a reabsorptive action but exactly on the poor reabsorption of this salt.
CHARACTERISTIC MENTAL SYMPTOMS
1.Pacifism : They hate aggression in any form. They try to avoid violence in any form. They find it very difficult to get angry, because they are extremely disturbed by violence.
2.Aggression : On the other hand they can be very aggressive (Mag C Eg) This part is not much emphasized in literature. But whitmont describes Mgs the most violent, ill tempered, erratic but also fearful, depressed remedy in our MM.
3.Fear of loss of friends, family etc. Kent describes Mag C as a remedy for orphans. Mag carb Magmur are important remedies for children of divorced or quarrelling parents.
Main feeling of Mg is tremendous internal anxiety and insecurity but this feeling is usually repressed. (Natrum suppresses) Emotions are so repressed that even the patient is unaware of them.
5.Insecurity ,Neglected feeling
Mg patients have the history of being neglected in some way by the parents.
6. Dreams of feeling loneliness, of having to face the problem alone etc.
Of being left behind- dreams that they were on a railway platform and the train departed with all relatives while patient was left behind. Among the pleasant dreams, that magnesium patient get dreams of being with people, a picnic with relatives etc.
These feature of tremendous anxiety, insecurity a need for protection and nourishment and a strong repression of emotions are seen in orphans, one who has no one to protect him or whom he can confide in.
- Right Sided affections
- Chilly patients (except Mag Iod,)
- Periodicity of Complaints
- Desire – For, meat, vegetables and refreshing things,
- Aversion – to cooked food, sweets, fatty food, Milk is intolerable < sweet, fat
- Discharges are sour, profuse and offensive, stool green watery with mucus. Menses – Blood is very dark ,tar like and many complaints excited or aggravated in relation with menses.
- Mg group have affinity to nervous system peripheral paralysis and affections of muscle excitability Neuralgic pains are present.
- Poor resistance, lack of vital heat, and increased susceptibility which leads to allergic manifestation. Eg : urticaria, eosinophilia, asthma etc.
- Pains : Neurlgias- Pain is darting , tearing, boring and shooting.
- Having antispasmodic character useful in abdominal colic, renal colic angina biliary colic etc.
- Tendency to new growth, like tumours and warts
- Sleep Unrefreshed, more tired in evening.
- Mg group mainly psoric similar to calcareas.
- General Modality
- < By cold, touch, 7am, Rt side and motion
- >Warm application, pressure and Bending double.
Remedy for children of quarreling or divorsed parents. In Mag C feeling that he is not appreciated. This makes to understand why Mag C children so aggressive. They have to be recognized and accepted & if this does not happen, they will show their presences in another way, they well force you to respect them.
- Spasmodic affections of stomach and intestines (Col, Mag P), increased Secretions from mucus membranes, marked acidity.
- Menses preceeded by serethroat , labour like pain, cutting colic, weakness chilliness flows only at night or when lying, ceases when walking (Ammo m, Kreos, opposite of Lil tig) acrid dark pitch like, difficult to wash off (med).
- Children whole body smells sour ,disposed to boils.
- Diarrhea -Stool-Green, watery, frothy like a frog ponds scum.
- Milk passes undigested in nursing children, sour with tenesmes (Rheum).
- Constipation after mental shock or severe nervous strain.
- Agg – change of temperature, every 3 weeks, rest, milk, during menses. Ame. – Warm air, but worse in warmth of bed (Led, Merc – better in warmth of bed – As).
Remedy for children of quarrelling or divorced parent. In Mag Mur feeling that there is fear of losing his sense of being safe and cured for. They crave for attention of nurturing, Ist stage they crave for attention, whine, but they might also get very irritated if they don’t get attention. Irritation may marked and change into bad temper or fits of anger. Same time they are afraid of aggression themselves because of fear of losing the support.
They can’t stand violence
Afraid of people’s anger
Quarrels between parents can throw them completely out of balance.
- Children – difficult dentition, unable to digest milk, causes pain in stomach and passes undigested, pung, rachitic and crave sweets.
- Great sensitiveness to noise
- Sweating of head (Calc, Sani, Sili))
- Leucorrhoea – after exercise with every stool with uterine spasm, followed by metrorrhagia two weeks after menses for 3 to 4 days (Bar, Bov, Con)
- Constipation – stool hard, large, knotty like sheep’s dung, difficult to pass, crumbling at the vage of anus (Anumm, Natm) of infants during dentition.
Fear that their aggression will take away the possibilities of contact. They need to make contact to exchange ideas and feelings . But they are afraid that they will say some thing wrong which makes other person angry and even break of the friendship. So they became very careful. They become more and more tense and almost spastic. Eventually they avoid making contact and even develop fear of people.
They can also cause the withdrawing and timid behaviour.
They like traveling or quite the opposite ,they often suffer from Homesickness.
- 1.Pains –Sharp cutting, stitching, lighting like coming and going (Bell). Paroxysmal. Spasmodic or cramp of stomach with clean tongue as if a band around the body.
- 2.Colic – flatulent forcing to Bend double and by heat, rubbing, hard pressure (Col, plumb)
- 3.< Cold air, cold washing, bathing, motion, touch,>Bending double, heat, warmth, pressure
MAGNESIUM SULPHURICUM (EPSUM SALT)
Mind : Mag sulph is afraid of getting angry, out of fear of losing his love or his loved one.
Itching suppressed itch, small pimples itch violently, warts, erysipelas and dropsy.
Diabetes : Stiches & burning in the orifice of urethra after micturition (urethritis) .Urine in morning copious and yellow later become turbid with red deposits. Urine greenish when passed, is of a clear colour and in large quantity.
Leucorrhoea as profuse as menses with weary pain in lumbosacral region and on moving about. Metrorrhagia, returns after 14 days.
Mag. S is of diagnostic and therapeutic value in gallstone colic. From 2-4 teaspoonfuls in a glass of hot water taken at the onset of a colicky attack may abort or stop the colic.