Dr Rekha U S
Homoeopathic Medicines made out of vertebrata group and their preparation, properties and clinical indications
General features of drugs from animal kingdom
Violence and intensity of action
Eg: In Arachnida, ophidia, and insecta. Produces alteration in both structure and function. [Both in the initial and last stages of the disease]. [Structural changes – syphilitic manifestations, malignant changes].
Produces diseases which are never of asthenic character and always of a destructive type.
Suited to acute disease and chronic manifestations.
Produces changes in blood, both in composition and quality. Eg: Arachnida and ophidia.
Nervous system suffers eg: Arachnida, Insecta [Apis]
Affects mind – especially the emotions.
Arachnida – Tarentula
Insecta – Apis – Jealousy
Ophidia – Lachesis
Common charachteristic features of vertebrata
- Hysteria – Moschus, Castor equi
- G.I.T – Ingluvin, Pepsin, Pancreatinum, Cholesterinum, Fel Tauri, Fel Vulpi, Fel piscinum, Castorium – ca tongue, Lecithin – Nutrition.
- Renal affection – Urea, Urinum, Eel serum.
- Respiratory – Carbo animalis, mephitis, Pulmo Vulpis, Moschus, Lecithin, Gadus Morrhua, Icthyolum.
- Weakness – Carbo animalis, Castoreum, Lecithin.
- Skin – Sphingurus – hair falling. Thyroidinum, Oleum jecoris aselli hair growth.
- Rheumatism – Icthyolum, Hippomanus – rheumatism of the wrist.
- Sexual and genital organs – Moschus – (increased sexual desire)
- Carbo animalis – ca uterus and breast, menorrhagia
- Castor equi – nipple affection
- Oleum animale – spermatic cord affection
- Ovi gallinae pellicula, Calcarea ovi tosta,
9. Nervous system and spasmodic affections– Mephitis, Moschus, Bufo
Members of ophidia family.
- Lachesis trignocephalus. – surukukku snake or the bush master.
- Crotalus horridus – rattle snake.
- Crotalus cascavella – brazilian rattle snake.
- Naja tripudians – Cobra
- Elaps coralinus – coral snake
- Bothrops lanceolatus or Lachesis lanceolatus – yellow viper
- Vipera torva – German viper
- Cenchris contortrix – Ancistrdon contortrix
- Bungarus fasciatus – Banded krait
- Toxicophis – Moccasin snake.
- Hydrophis cyanocinctus – sea snake.
- Clotho arietans – puff adder.
Common characteristic features.
1. Cardio vascular system.
- BLOOD – Septicemia
- Haemorrhage- even blood is sweaty. Black and coagulable, offensive.
- Apoplexy – Stroke, paralysis, head ache.
- Cyanosis – Improper oxygenation- Irregular distribution of blood – Decreased blood supply to brain – syncope, head ache.
- Flushes of heat.
- HEART – Cardiac failure – left sided cardiac failure leading nocturnal dyspnoea.
- Improper supply of blood to periphery leading to coldness.
- BLOOD VESSELS – Phlebitis (vipera) and gangrene (bothrops).
2. CNS – Peripheral nerves – manifested as paralysis.
- Vagus nerves affected – producing choking sensation (naja, lachesis) – Paralysis of throat muscles – liquids more painful than solids.
- Constrictive feelings- Throat, larynx, sphincters.
3. CONSTRICTION AND CONSTRICTIVE FEELINGS-
4. MIND – over excitability and depression. Excitability – loquacious (lachesis, crot.casca)
- Depression – Stupor, semiconsciousness, dreams of death.
5. Death of tissues – Gangrene. Important in infectious diseases. Yellow fever, diphtheria, cellulitis, boils with Fainting tendency and muscular weakness.
6. Aggravation night (lachesis, crotalus, elaps, cenchris)
7. Yellow staining of skin.
8. Alteration of special senses – hallucination.
9. All discharges are offensive.
11. Climacteric ailments – lachesis, crotalus horridus, vipera.
12. Side affinity – either left or right. (left or left to right – lachesis, naja, right – crotalus, elaps, both)
13. Amelioration from discharges.
- 1. Mephitis.
- 2. Moschus.
- 3. Castoreum.
- 4. Cervus.
- 5. Castor equi.
- 6. Sphingurus.
- 7. Ingluvin.
- 8. Pancreatinum.
- 9. Pepsin.
- 10. Cholesterinum.
- 11. Fel tauri.
- 12. Fel piscinum,
- 13.Fel vulpi.
- 14.Pulmo vulpis.
- 16.Carbo animalis.
- 17.Oleum animale.
- 19.Ovi gallinae pellicula
- 20.Calcarea ovi tosta
- 24.Iodo thyrinum
- 25.Thymus gland extract
- 27.Pituitary gland
- 29.Urea pura
- 30.Uric acid
- 31.Urinum humanum
- 1.Gadus morrhua
- 2.Oleum jecoris aselli
- 6.Serum anguillar ichthyotoxin
- Mephitis putorius
- N.O – Mustilidae
- Skunk or pole cat
- The secretion obtained from the anal gland.
- Proved by Dr.Hering
- The peculiarity of this medicine lies in the strange constitution of the patient ie. an extra ordinary power to withstand cold.
- Pleasant to wash in cold water, which relieves all their suffering.
- It is indicated in the complaints of the Respiratory system when the catarrhal symptoms are more or less absent and spasmodic symptoms are most prominent.
- eg. Spasmodic stage of whooping cough.
- COUGH – Catarrhal symptoms are more or less absent and spasmodic symptoms are most prominent. – spasmodic cough.
- Cough leads to vomiting and convulsions. [kali carb, Bry, Drosera].
- Aggravation talking, reading aloud, drinking.[spong, dros, phos, rumex, sticta]
- Aggravation night [Dros]
- Expiration difficult, cannot exhale.[chloralum, samb, arg met, caust, ipec, med]
- Asthma of drunkards.
- Moschus moschiferus – Musk deer.
- Order – Ruminantia
- Introduced by Dr. Hahnemann.
It is the dried secretion from the preputial follicle of the musk deer. This glandular secretion is found in a sac between the umbilicus and preputial orifice. It is a fatty, waxy, gelatinous, albuminous substance with a strong smell. It was known to the physicians of India much before the birth of Christ. It was a favourite stimulant with them. Even the Kavi rajis of the present day use it extensively in the stage of collapse.
The power of musk to produce fainting in sensitive persons by mere smelling fit, gives the chief key note for its use in Homoeopathy.
This remedy is indicated in cases of hysteria, hysterical paroxysms and nervous excitement in patients who faint from least provocation.
Hysteria- a. Hysterical women and men with changeable mood.
b. Cries one moment, uncontrollable laughter the next moment.
c. Globus hystericus
d. In rage, keeps n scolding until she becomes cyanosed and go fainting.
Fainting from least provocation as concomitant t hysteria –
a. While eating
b. During menses
c. From heart diseases
d. Globus hystericus
e. Least exertion
Coldness – In epilepsy, coldness of body with rigor or chilliness or shuddering as though the patient was very cold.
Increased sexual desire – Nymphomania in female and satyriasis with priapism in males.
Threatened paralysis of the lungs – Loud rattling of mucus is heard in the chest with difficult expectoration.
Feeling of shortness of whole body or parts.
- Class – mammalia.
- Order – Rodentia
The medicine prepared from a secretion contained in the preputial sac of the beaver. When fresh it is yellow, consistency of that of syrup, when dry it is dark red or brown and f the consistency of hard whey.
We find mentioning of this remedy in works of Galen, Hippocrates, Pliny.
Most of our clinical symptoms of this remedy are derived from Trausean and Pideux.
Caspian proved Russian castor and Nening proved castor of Southern Europe.
Indicated in cases of Nervous, Hysterical women, who are greatly prostrated as a result of some exhausting disease.
CA tongue – Tongue swollen – sensitive to touch
Sensation of a string pulling the center of tongue to hyoid bone.
Anti sycotic remedy
Cnsidered as an anti sycotic by Teste,.
Complimentary – Thuja.
- Brazilian deer.
- Trituration of the fresh hide covered with hair
- Altered taste.
- Taste of doughy bread in the mouth.
- The rudimentary thumb nail of the horse.
- A small flat, oblong oval horn growing on the inner side of the leg above the fet lock of the horse.
- This is a blackish excrescence found on the inner side of the fore and hind legs of the horse, along the knee and below the lock joints.
- Proved by Constantine Hering.
- Nipple cracked and ulcerated
- Due to prolonged suckling by the infant, the nipple becomes extremely raw and sore.
- Areola reddened as in erysipelas.
- Nipples get ulcerated off and only hangs by small strings and with draining axillary glands swollen.
- Warts on forehead, breast.
- Sphingurus maritini
- Tree porcupine
- Prepared from prickles taken from tree porcupine.
- Proved by Mure.
- Important feature is the falling out of the hair, esp. whiskers.
- Falling of hair from head and beard.
- Made from the gizzard of a fowl. [Gizzard – a muscular thick walled part of a bird stomach for grinding food]
- It is a part f the GIT, so commonly indicated in digestive problems.
- a. Gastritis with pain
- b. nausea and vomiting
- c. Delayed digestion of the food
- d. Infantile diarrhea
- e. gastric neurasthenia
- A peculiar organic matter from the glandular layer of fresh stomach from healthy pigs.
- GIT – Imperfect digestion, Gastric neurasthenia
- Pain in the region of the stomach
- Gastric cancer and ulcer
- Marasmus of children who have been fed on artificial food.
- Diarrhoea of children and adults
- Diseases of pancreas, gout, diabetes
- Pepsin may digest the contents of the stomach
- Extract of the salivary glands of OX and SHEEP.
- Indicated in conditions due to diseases or faulty action of pancreas.
- Improper digestion of fat
- Intestinal indigestion
- Diseases of pancreas.
- Pain one or more hours after eating
- Lienteric stools.
- C26 H44 0
- Furnished by the epithelial lining of the gall bladder and the larger ducts. Indicated in any affection of the liver.
- Liver – considered when usual liver remedies fail
- Pre – malignant conditions
- Gall stones
- Left lobe
- N.O – Ruminantia
- Bilis bovina
- The fresh bile f ox
- Impissated gall , triturated with sugar of milk.
- Proved by Buchner
- Ox gall is a remedy of very ancient use. It is used in the old school purely as a purgative for preventing putrefactive changes in the intestine and for increasing peristalsis.
- GIT - Intestinal antiseptic
- Jaundice – obstructive – stools offensive odorless, tasteless eructations Light clay coloured stools
- Violent peristaltic movements causing great deal of gurgling and rumbling
- Liquifies bile, purgative and chologogue
- Tendency to sleep after eating.
- Fox’s gall
- Used in constipation and accumulation flatus in the intestine.
- Similar to Fel Vulpi.
- Fox’s lung
- Vulpis stands for fox.
- As the fox is the longest winded of all animals the doctrine of signatura indicates its lung as possible remedy for shortness of breath.
- Respiratory system – Asthma – rales, rattling, wheezing.
- Aggravation slightest motion, lying down
- Inability to lie down
- In desperate cases leading to cyanosis, heart affections.
- Cor pulmonale
- It is a normally white, dark olive green, soft, glutinous mucous substance, of a ruinous odour, which floats in the allantois fluid or is attached to the allantois membrane of the mare or cow, chiefly during the last months of pregnancy.
- A mechonium deposit out of the amniotic fluid taken from mare or cow.
- Trituration of the dried substance taken from the tongue of a newly born felly
- It is old famous aphrodisiacum of the Greek authors.
- Aphrodisiac – sexual symptoms, prostrate involvement with increased sexual desire.
- Wrist – Sprained sensation in wrist
- Weakness of the hands and fingers / paralysis
- Pain and rheumatism of wrist
- Stomach – sensation of coldness
- Animal charcoal
- Made from charred ox hide leather. (old school – from bone)
- It contains calc phos and impure carbon.
1. Glandular affections – stony hard consistency, and of the draining lymph nodes.
2. In malignant affections – breast, uterus, lymph nodes of the groin
3. Syphilitic manifestations – eg: bubo – coffee coloured eruptions
4. Venous affections – stagnation f blood leads to bluish discolouration of affected parts. eg: varicose veins
5. Death, decay with offensive discharge,
6. Anti septic action – ulceration, gangrene, malignancies with offensive discharge.
7. Great debility – defective reaction – in old people, after debilitating disease.
- After menses – can hardly speak
- Weakness of ankles – ankles turn in when walking
- Joints weak, easily sprained by slight exertion
- Too weak to eat
- With leucorrhoea, diarrhoea
- Any respiratory – particularly last stage of pneumonia, bronchitis, offensive discharges, purulent sputum
- Respiratory complaints with right sided affection aggravation lying on right side
8. Lack of vital heat – aversion to cold air. sensation of coldness in different parts
9. Ear affection – hearing defective, cannot tell from which direction sound is coming.mastoiditis
10.Complimentary – Calc phos – nearest analogue
11.For the bad effects of spoiled meat and decayed vegetables.
Dipples oil - Oleum animale aetherum
Bone naphtha - Oleum cornu cervi
Oleum animale, is rectified animal oil, obtained in the preparation of bone, – black
It was discovered in 1711 by Johann Courad Dipple, the alchemist and discoverer of Prussian blue. So called dipple oil. Dipple obtained it at first instance by distillation of stage horns. Hence the name oleum cornu cervis.
It may be recorded t the group of volatile carbons.
Proved by Nenning, scheter, Trinks.
1. Pain – Burning, stitching or both.
From behind forward.( affections of breast – CA breast)
As if pulled upward. (neuralgia of spermatic cord, both testicles are drawn up & very painful. Malar bone as if pulled forcibly upward.)
2. Migaine – Associated with polyuria with characteristic pain.
3. Relaxation of Buccal mucous membrane – Patient can’t avoid biting cheek when he eats.
4. Nervous Asthma – may be from repelled foot sweat.
5. Toothache – > pressing tooth together.
6. Eructations tasting like urine.
- Phosphorus containing complex organic body prepared from the yolk of egg and animal brains.
- Faulty nutrition –
- With weakness and exhaustion
- Anaemia during convalescence, with insomnia [increases the no: of red cells]
- Increased excretion of phosphates
- Tb of young who are weak and tired with loss of flesh and general exhaustion
- Anaphrodisiac – Male power lost or enfeebled
- Excellent Galactogogue.
OVI GALLINAE PELLICULA
- Membrane of the shell of a hen’s egg. This preparation was made by Swan.
- The egg shells were anciently used proved fresh or roasted and as such in the treatment of oxyuris vermicularis.
- As an ovarian product it might be expected that all parts of the egg should have an action on ovaries. It is recognized that as an article of diet some forms of eggs have a stimulatory effect on the sexual functions. [other preparations are ova tosta, oophorinum, orchitinum].
- Pain - Sudden pain – sudden event and disappearance
- Ovary (lt side) pain in the region of the heart extending to ovary
- Heart - Sensitive to touch and pressure, even of cloths. Intolerance of bands on wrist, arm, and waist.
- Back ache - Sudden onset, sensitive to touch.
- Can be due to uterine complaints in female.
- With bearing down sensation – prolapse, retroversion
Calcarea ovi testae or ovi gallinae testa
- Egg shell – Not including its lining membrane. This preparation of Calcarea have been used in preference to others in case of simple bland leucorrhoea.
- Water in which eggs have been boiled is supposed to have the property causing warts if brought in contact with hands. This suggests calcarea ovi tosta as possibly the best calcarea preparation to prescribe in cases of warts.
- In other symptoms it is similar to calcarea carb.
- Leucorrhoea – backache – as if broken in to two.
- Much interest is shown in Dr. Fritz Talbot’s method to cure one form of asthma in children by the use of egg vaccine. Asthma due to susceptibility of the proteid substance in eggs can be cured by immunizing against egg poisons by repeated doses of egg white.
- Ovarian extract
- Trituration of expressed juice of ovary of sheep or cow.
- On the analogy of the action of thyroidinum in myxoedema and goiter, oophorinum has been used with much success in cases of suffering following excision of the ovaries and for the climacteric suffering of women.
- Sggested as remedy in ovarian cysts.
- Complaints after excision of ovaries – climacteric ailments, skin disorder, obesity
- Nervous sufferings, acne rosacea and other skin disorders of the climacteric
- Acne and seborrhea in chlorotic women
- Amelioration during and after menses
- Testicular extract - spermin
- The use of a testicular extract in cases of senile decay and nervous break down was first proposed by Brown sequard and formed one of the examples by which he illustrated his doctrine of inner secretions.
- He maintained that the various glands of the organism had, in addition to their obvious secretion or excretion, an additional secretion which was not obvious, but which materially contributed to welfare of the organism.
- Indicated in sequale of ovariotomy, menopausal ailments
- Debility and sexual weakness
- Premature senile decay
- Thyroidin- a sarcode
- Thyroid extract
- Trituration of the fresh thyroid gland of sheep or calf or from an extract made from it.
- When the treatment of myoedema and allied diseases by thyroid feeding was introduced by Murray in 1892, many accidents occurred from overdosing. Clarke collected a large number of pathogenetic effects and arranged in a scheme form along with cured symptoms, giving authority and reference for each. Also added symptoms collected by Mare Joussett.
- Indicated in any disorder of thyroid gland provided,
- 1. A state of puffiness / obesity
- 2. Brawny swelling
- 3. Spasms by cold – chilly patient, complaints aggravated from cold.
- Sphere of action – thyroid gland
- Goitre – Increased appetite, loss of weight, tachycardia, anaemia, weakness, exophthalmia
- Hypothyroidism – Cretinism – growth retarded, arrest of development in children(indicated in infantile wasting)
- Mental development retarded
- Myxoedema – puffiness and obesity
- Melancholia, Mania, Insanity, Delirium
- Skin – psoriasis connected with obesity, Icthyosis
- Nutrition – of bones, rickets, delayed union of fractures
- Growths – mammary tumors, uterine fibroid.
- Undescended Testis.
Iodothyrinum or thyroidinum
- The active principle is isolated from thyroid.
- Rich in Iodine and Nitrogen.
- Affects metabolism, reducing wt and may produce glycosuria
- Diuretic action
- Diabetic – glycosuria
Thymus gland extract
- Arthritis deformans
- Metabolic osteoarthritis
- Extract of supra renal bodies — a sarcode
- The leading features of addison’s disease may be taken as guide to its use.
- It causes vasoconstriction – leading to HTN, so indicated in heart affections. Angina – with sensation of thoracic constriction with anguish associated vertigo, nausea and vomiting. Any lesion of the adrenal gland.
- Indicated in addisons disease (hormonal derangement) bruised skin , loss of strength, wasting, exceedingly rapid pulse, when the prescription of digitalis dangerous due to cumulative action of it.
- Browning of skin
- Loss of Strength.
- The mother tincture comes from the organ prepared by maceration in a mixture of water and alcohol – glycerine from the posterior lobe of the pituitary gland.
- Pituitary gland exercise a superior control over the growth and development of the sexual organ, stimulates muscular activity and overcomes uterine inertia and therefore it is indicated in delayed growth.
- Amenorrheoa, breast disorder – Amenorrheoa with breast atrophy.
- High BP, vertigo,
- Vitiligo – alternating dark and white patches.
- Insulin is an aqueous solution of an active principle from pancreas.
- DR. W.F. Baker is the authority.
- Indicated in acne, carbuncle, erythema with itching eczema. Diabetes, persistent cases of skin irritation , boils or varicose ulcers or polyuria.
It is the chief nitrogenous constituent of urine of mammal. When the kidney fails to eliminate these waste products, uremic intoxication, delirium, coma and convulsion becomes the inevitable consequence. Naturally, therefore, the homoeopathic proving have brought out a series of important symptoms.
- Most of the symptoms of urea is on kidney and bladder.
- There is a strong urging to urination this urging begins at the root of the penis.
- Indicated in albuminous urine and diabetes.
- Renal dropsy and diuretic action
- Amount of urine passed in small, the urea is low.
- Symptoms similar to Ureamia of Renal origin.
- Usegul in gouty eczema where the eczema has been the skin out let for the constitution.
- Eczema, Gout, Lipoma & Rheumatism.
Urinum is potentised human urine. Urine is one of the most ancient remedies. Urine therapy is as old as man himself. The Chinese treat wounds by sprinkling urine on them.
- The Chinese had a system where pregnant women would drink her urine and it seems to stimulate early labour. It is great for premenstrual syndrome, infertility.
- Urine was a universal remedy for mastitis , sore throat.
- Anasarca – generally more marked in lower extremities.
- Albuminuria – diabetes , uremia
- Pre-menstrual syndrome, infertility
- Acne , AIDS, cancer, psoriasis, skin disorders , scurvy.
- Lacerta agelis
- Green lizard
- Tincture of whole animal
- The Green lizard is usually considered to be non poisonous. But Baldelli, who ate a lizard developed some decided symptoms of indigestion, vescication under the tongue and skin eruptions.
- G.I.T – Indigestion – nausea, violent pressure in the stomach, difficult swallowing, increased salivation.
- NO – lacertila
- The jaw containing the poison is removed and triturated.
- Amphisbaena is a snake like lizard, with out limbs, progressing backwards or forwards.
- Mure is the authority for its effects. It is prepared from the jaw as well as the poison of the animal and has symptoms indicating action on bone like that of silicea.
- Especially in the jaw (right side).
- Lancinating pain aggravation by air and dampness.
- Head ache aggravation motion.
- Jaw affections – left side – (phos)
This is a medicine of recent origin and is prepared by triturating sugar of milk saturated with venom of Gila monster. It is a n ugly looking object, the entire body being encased in thickly coated armour of fixed skin, marked over with yellow and black spots.
Its bite produces symptoms of locomotor ataxia and paralysis agitans. Death takes place from failure of heart rather than from respiratory failure.
The proving was first made by DR. Robert – Boocok of Flat bush. He was seized with an internal coldness from the heart as if being frozen to death internally and had no way of warming himself. It was so intense to be described as ‘arctic coldness’. Other provers also had this symptom just as prominently as Dr.Boocok. Hence we can consider this symptom as the cardinal of this remedy.
1. Sensation of coldness
- Head, mouth and tongue.
- Chest, lungs, heart
- Scapula, along the spine.
- Feet cold as ice
2. Sensation of constriction aggravation from sleep.
3. Tremor, spongy feeling of feet. Numbness, staggering gait, cock’s gait, locomotor ataxia and paralysis agitans.
4. Great thirst with Numbness.
- No – gadidae
- There are two preparations from cod.
- One is – Gadus morruha – is the trituration of the first cervical vertebrae of the fish. Other is from the oil obtained from fresh liver of Gadus morruha. i.e. Oleum jacori aselli
- In both respiratory symptoms are prominent.
- Petroz is the authority for the medicine.
- Region of action
- Powerful action on the Respiratory apparatus.
- Flapping of alae nasi
- Pain in the lungs and cough
- Violent pain in the chest. (In LRT, the pain sensitive organ is pleura, so indicated in pleural affections)
- Back – sharp, lacinating pain in the dorsal vertebrae.
Oleum jecoris aselli
Oleum jecoris morruha
- Cod liver oil – oil obtained from the fresh liver of Gadus morruha.
- (Since taken from the liver it is a liver remedy)
- Indicated in emaciated, chilly babies (marasmus)
- G.I.T – Liver disease – yellow coated tongue (yellow expectoration and even yellow leucorrhoea), with soreness in the liver and abdomen.
- Soreness all over the body.
- Respiratory complaints – advanced tuberculosis. Phthisis and scrofulous affections, where there is loss of subcutaneous fat. So chilly, aggravation damp wet weather. Indicated in emaciated, chilly babies (marasmus), restless and feverish at night.
- Fever aggravation towards evening and burning in palms. Yellow expectoration. Soreness in throat and chest. (in advanced lung affection)
- Palpitation of Heart as a Concomitant with cough.
- Chilly, < Exposure to cold.
- Hirsuitism – Abnormal growth of hair on face of women.
A kind of red mullet of South America.
- Dr. Burnett is the authority for this medicine. He basis his use of it on account of its effect on some sailors who ate this fish. They came out with a peculiar red rash which becomes chronic and which doctors took for a form of syphilis.
- Pityriasis rubra
- Red rash on chest.
- Complementary: Aur mur.
- Trachinus draco and Trachinus vipera
- Triturations of the poisonous fins.
- Like erythrinus, some very serious effects have been recorded with wounds inflicted with the fins of trachinus. So, indicated in skin affections with,
- intolerable pain
- septic conditions with fever, delirium, pain
- acute blood poisoning
A fish caught in the Amazon, clinically used for various skin affections.
- These drugs are indicated only when well indicated medicines fail.
Serum anguillar icthyotoxin
EEL SERUM – Icthyotoxinum.
- Potencies are made with glycerin or distilled water.
- The serum of eel has toxic action on blood.
- Primary action on the kidneys. Secondarily the liver and the heart are affected.
- Reestablishes diuresis and rapidly arrests albuminuria.
- Characterized by oliguria, anuria and albuminuria. Secondary hypertension with oliguria. Cardiac uremia, acute nephritis.
- When other remedies fail in renal oedema, especially when digitalis fails.
Ammonium ichthyol sulphonate
- C28 H26 S3O6(NH4)2
- The most important of the salts of ichthyosulphonic acid, prepared from a bituminous material of Tyrol, which is rich in fossilized remains of fish.
- It belongs to the petroleum class of remedies.
- This is an unproved remedy which has been used in old school therapeutics as an external application and internally in skin affections, rheumatism, scrofula, nephritis and gonorrhea. It has good action on skin, mucous membrane and kidney.
- Skin – Pruritis, acne and urticaria has been produced. Indicated in psoriasis, erysipelas, itching, crops of boils, itching of pregnancy.
- Mucous membrane – great action on the Mucous membrane of nose and throat. Rheumatic pains over the muscular tissue.
- Winter coughs of old people, dry teasing cough, bronchitis, bronchiectasis, tuberculosis.
- Hay fever
- Chronic rheumatism
- Kidney – Increased urination, change in volume from usual straw to dark straw or reddish tint. Uric acid deposits.
- Uric acid diathesis
Bufo rana – the toad.
- Including the common variety, Bufo rana and the brazilian toad, Bufo sahytenisis, proved by mure.
- Poison expressed from the cutaneous glands (in skin of the back).
- L.Gutherie tells a story of an Italian peasant, apparently dyeing of dropsy, whose wife weary of the in-terminable length of his illness, to hasten his end by putting a toad in to his wine. The result was that the man was completely cured. Toad is considered as a specific in dropsy.
- But the chief action of Bufo is in epilepsy. Epilepsy of young people with self abuse, provokes the tendency to impotency. The Indian women are aware of this effect and administer the venom in food or drink when they want to free from their material affection.
- Suited to feeble minded children, persons with increased sexual desire.
- Epilepsy – dependent upon derangement of sexual organs
- After – sexual abuse
- Aura starts from the sexual organs or solar plexus
- Periodicity – night, sleep, menses, coition.
- Aggravation warm room, sensitive to cold.
- Desires solitude to practice masturbation.
- Desire for intoxicating drinks.
- Complementary: Salamandra (Epilepsy & Softening of Brain)
- Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory – W.Boericke, MD.
- A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica – John Hentry Clarke, MD.
- A Manual of Materia Medica, therapeutics and pharmacology – Alexander .L. Blackwood.
- A study on Materia Medica – N.M Choudhari.
- New, old and forgotten remedies – Anshutz E.P.
- 1001 small remedies – Dr. Frederike schroyens.
- Lotus Materia Medica – Robin Murphy, M.D
- Allen’s key notes – H.C. Allen.
- Clinical Materia Medica – E.A Farrington.
- Encyclopaedia of Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia – Dr. P.N. Varma.& Dr. Indu Vaid.
- Textbook of Homoeopathic Pharmacy – Mandal & Mandal.
Dr Rekha U S
Lecturer,Department of Materia Medica,
Dr. Padiyar Memorial Homoeopathic Medical College,Ernakulam. Kerala