The West Bengal University of Health Sciences MD (Homoeopathy) Part-I Examination, 2008 (Session 2010)
Subject: History of Medicine. Scientific Methodology including Research Methodology and Statistics
Full Marks: 100 Paper-III Time: 3 hrs.
Use separate answer script for each group
Attempt all questions.
|1.||Write in brief the Rule of Simile in Medicine from Paracelsus to Hahnemann.||25|
|2.||Write short notes on:||5 x 5|
- a) Jeeback
- b) Vitalism in medical practice
- c) Drainage theory.
- d) Samuel Thompson
- e) Burnette.
Group – B
3.a) A pharmaceutical company conducted a pilot study to evaluate the relationship between three doses of a new hypnotic agent and sleeping time. The results are 12+3
|Hours (Y) 4||6||5||9||8||7||13||11||9|
|Dose in mM/kg|
What is the regression equation relating dose (X) to sleeping time (Y)?
What is the estimated sleeping time for a patient receiving 12 mM/Kg of the new drug?
b)A study was carried out to evaluate the association between alcohol consumption and death from all causes. The investigator classified 4550 subjects according to monthly alcohol consumption as abstainers, light drinkers (up to 30 pegs per month), moderate (31-90 pegs per month) and heavy (>90 pegs per month) drinkers. They were followed up for 10 years and death from all causes recorded as.
Alcohol Condition of Subjects at the end of the study
- i) What type of study design was used here
- ii) Estimate absolute risk of death from any cause for heavy drinker.
- iii) Calculate RR of death for heavy drinkers as compared to light drinkers
- iv) Calculate and interpret Odd’s ratio for heavy drinkers as compared to light drinkers.
- v) Calculate and interpret AR for heavy drinkers as compared to abstainer.
4. Write short notes on:
- a)Random sampling with or without replacement.
- b)Mean’ `Mode’ and standard deviation
- c)Type I & Type II Error.
- d) Nominal versus ordinal data
- e) Gaussian curve.