Mnemonics for Medical Students
‘Mnemonic’ is another word for memory tool. Mnemonics are techniques for remembering information that is otherwise quite difficult to recall. The idea behind using mnemonics is to encode difficult-to-remember information in a way that is much easier to remember.
Improves medical student learning and educator productivity. Provides simulation-based training for both clinical and basic science education.
Publishes articles on effective teaching strategies for the college classroom — both face-to-face and online.
A free conference management system that is flexible, easy to use, and has many features to make it suitable for various conference models. It is currently probably the most commonly used conference management system.
The Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology
Offers free articles about what a teaching portfolio is, what the portfolio should include, how to create an electronic teaching portfolio, and some sample portfolios.
The Center for Teaching and Learning
Works closely with colleges, departments, students, and individual faculty to support strategic initiatives that advance educational excellence.
Aa free and open resource designed primarily for faculty and students of higher education.
Assessment related links
Web based learning
University of Arkansas
Special Issue of BMJ on How to become good Doctor
Teacher Education and development
Internet Pathology Education
Information Therapy is the Best Prescription
India’s first health wiki
Medical Specilaity aptitude test
This site is designed to help medical students choose a medical specialty. You will be asked to rate your tendencies compared to the tendencies of physicians in each specialty. The higher your score for a given specialty, the more similar you are to the physicians in that specialty.
Over 1,00,000 MCQ’s, Covers over 50 Entrances,(National & States),Instant Evaluation & Results,Explanatory Answers & Book References,Original solved previous question papers from 1977 to the latest 2008 (32 years),Textbook Study Guide pattern of Categorization of Each MCQ, Detailed Performance Reports,Search Questions with keywords.
Richard Felder’s RESOURCES IN SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING EDUCATION
Now there is a big movement towards Open Knowledge:
Open Journal Systems
OJS)is a journal management and publishing system that has been developed by the Public Knowledge Project through its federally funded efforts to expand and improve access to research.
How to design an effective e-learning course for medical education
Global Directories of Education Institutions for Health Professions
The aim of the AVICENNA Directories is to provide up-to-date and reliable information on institutions that educate health professionals to all who are interested – policy-makers at national and international level; authorities responsible for licences to practice; teachers and schools; and students seeking to identify a suitable quality programme.
From Anatomy to Surgery
Hosts over 300,000 educational workspaces, and has helped transform teaching and learning for millions of students, parents and teachers.
PBworks Basic Edition
A great way to get started with a collaborative learning experience for your classroom or course. It’s free for academic use by up to 100 students, teachers or parents.
Download medical images
NCI Visuals Online contains images from the collections of the Office of Communications and Education, National Cancer Institute
Free PowerPoint to Flash Converter
The Hot Potatoes
Six applications, enabling you to create interactive multiple-choice, short-answer, jumbled-sentence, crossword, matching/ordering and gap-fill exercises for the World Wide Web. Hot Potatoes is freeware, and you may use it for any purpose or project you like. It is not open-source.
Allow you to create secure online exams to your exact requirements.
Dr. Mogli Healthcare Management Consultancy
DMHMC is dedicated to providing effective and efficient solutions to today’s complete hospital management and amplified cost issues
Case presentation performance and perception when using mobile learning technology in the emergency department
The Davidson Young Scholars Program
Provides FREE services designed to nurture and support profoundly gifted young people. Students and their parents receive assistance
An Internet-based distance learning material for health-related (medical, nursing, dental, veterinary, etc.) students who are beginners in Epidemiology, Global Health and the Internet. You can utilize the Supercourse for training your students. You can contribute to the Supercourse as a reviewer, lecture developer, or translator as well.
Free online dictionary and mobile reference resource
The Positive Deviance approach
Is an asset-based, problem-solving, and community-driven approach that enables the community to discover these successful behaviors and strategies and develop a plan of action to promote their adoption by all concerned.
Kwik Surveys makes your job easy Design surveys,forms, polls and feedback forms
Moodle in Education & Training
It is the open source forum for educators to post module and then conduct online test of participants.
Open Library is a project of the non-profit Internet Archive, and has been funded in part by a grant from the California State Library and the Kahle/Austin Foundation.
Medical Education Online (MEO)
A peer-reviewed international Open Access journal for disseminating information on the education and training of physicians and other health care professionals.
ASSET is a diagnostic test which actually helps students improve.
Unlike regular tests which try only to find out how much a child knows (or has memorized), ASSET measures how well a student has understood concepts and gives detailed feedback on the same, to help them improve.
Works with our clients to develop and implement technology that improves every aspect of education. We enable clients to engage more students in exciting new ways, reaching them on their terms and devices—and connecting more effectively, keeping students informed, involved, and collaborating together.
Pathology and Histology Microscopic Slides for teaching purposes.
Web : www.dent-eq.com
Medical Teachers in India
You may send a blank email to email@example.com to start the subscription. You can visit the archives of the group at https://groups.google.com/group/meu_india/topics?hl=en.
Homeopathic books Online
Teaching and learning resources
Online News Papers : www.newseum.com
Experience & explore the innovative & diverse services provided by Google like 4.3 GB mail box, web accelerator, free software(s), blogs, 120 crore images, scholar (for researchers), news from 4500 sources,3D earth maps, Orkut, You tube and lot more .Really Amazing
Microsoft Tools for Teachers and Students
Microsoft offers free tools to help engage students in a variety of subject areas—from art to music to science and beyond. Teachers can use these interactive tools to encourage self-directed learning or to create fun, dynamic group projects. The tools are simple to download from the Web. For the most part, they don’t require special training, so you can start using them quickly and help your students do the same.
Adobe teaching solutions
Adobe TV Higher Education Channel
To download Adobe Digital Career Teaching resources visit
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI )
An independent not-for profit-organization based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, IHI focuses on motivating and building the will for change; identifying and testing new models of care in partnership with both patients and health care professionals; and ensuring the broadest possible adoption of best practices and effective innovations.
Developed an interactive internet platform for education and training in homeopathy, that will make it possible for homeopaths, schools, workgroups, quality circles and any other homeopathic institutions in the field of education and training to deepen and to pass on knowledge independent of both time and place of the participants. Basic knowledge advanced training, workshops, supervision, post graduate courses, master courses.Homeoversity is a project of Homeoversity offers you a powerful platform for education and training in addition to your curriculum
Health Realted Courses
Medvarsity, India’s first virtual medical university was established April 2000, to provide complementary medical education using information technology, is an initiative by Apollo Hospitals group, leader in healthcare in Asia-Pacific region and NIIT Ltd, the global leaders in e-learning solutions. Medical education has undergone considerable change over the last couple of decades and newer technologies are fast replacing the conventional mode of teaching
Rate your College & Teachers
Students from various colleges and universities of India gather and present their views about their teachers and professors in the form of ratings and reviews.
USMLE - http://www.usmle.org/
Prescribing multiple drugs?
Check interactions on Cimsasia.com
Education Abroad for Indian Students
Advisory for Indian Students seeking Admission in Foreign Universities/Institution – University Grants Commission (http://www.ugc.ac.in/) has received several complaints from Indian students pursuing studies abroad regarding misleading claims being made by foreign universities/institutions in respect of the courses offered by them and validity of their degrees. All Indian students wishing to pursue studies abroad may contact :Association of Indian Universities (AIU), AIU House, 16, Comd. Indrajit Gupta Marg,(Kotla Marg),New Delhi – 110002 Phones :+91-11-23230059, 23232305, 23233390, 23231097,23232429,32232435 Fax:+91-11 23232131Visit their website www.aiuweb.org for information regarding the accreditation status of foreign universities and the valuation and equivalence of degrees and diplomas awarded by the accredited universities abroad.
Useful links on Pathology
Web based learning for students & teachers
Free Podcasts on statistics
Health calculators can help you in planning your diet and fitness regime.
10 ways to use YouTube in class room
Free access to thousands of high quality educational videos
Over 2,000 tools for learning and working in education and the workplace
Links for Medical Education Units, India
Teaching and Learning in Medicine http://www.siumed.edu/tlm/
Medical Education : http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/loi/MED
Medical Teacher : www.medicalteacher.org/
Links to a number of useful web resources to help improve quality of Medical Education in your Institution Courtesy : http://searame.org/SearameWebResources.html
- : World Federation for Medical Education’s documents for improving the quality of Under Graduate, Post Graduate as well as Continuing Professional Development education.
- NIACE Learning Skills, Quality Improvement : A “Support for Success” Quality Improvement Programme website for the user-friendly guide to improving quality in adult learning
- Faculty Development Resources & links on a large number of Teaching -Learning methods & tools
- - University of New Mexico: for &
- Teaching & Learning Resources Stanford University
- - McMaster University
- Teaching Guides University of Minnesota
- Basic Sciences Education Recent trends in Basic Sciences Education ,Use of patient simulators, standardized patients, competency in basic science education, EBM in Basic Science Education
- in Teaching Skills :Trends in Basic Sciences Education ,Education Technology Toolkit, Learner Centered Education, Evaluation of student learning, using Internet
- Bibliography : from the University of Toronto
- Faculty Development links - Florida State University
- arising out of the AAMC Project on the Clinical Education of Medical Students , Recommendations for clinical skills curricula for UG Medical students, links to similar resources
- Resident Teachers The Skills development Website of the University of California Irvine
- - University of New Mexico
- Resources & Information for Clinical Faculty - Florida State University
- ; downloadable form
- Learning Styles Models- Felder: Assessment of Learning Style preferences ; Kolbs Experiential Learning
- Student Learning Center - Uni of Auckland: Resources for Students for learning, writing & research . . . .
- a series of five PowerPoint presentations with a Facilitator’s Manual, is a new educational resource from the Research and Education Department. The Facilitator’s Manual contains speaker notes and discussion questions to help Program Directors give these presentations during faculty meetings or educational retreats
- - Faculty & Student Guide: University of New Mexico
- SurveyMonkey: to enable anyone to create professional online surveys quickly and easily
- QuestionPro : a web based service for conducting online surveys , ideal for simple projects
- FreeOnlineSurveys.com : Create your own free survey in 10 minutes…
- StatPac Survey : to conduct online surveys, telephone interviewing (CATI), or traditional paper questionnaires.
- The WHO Librarary Documents & Publications: Useful WHO documents, Bulletins, TRS, Monographs
- WHOLIS : WHO e-library search of WHO Publications .It indexes all WHO publications from 1948 onwards
- The Source: resources available from WHO SEARO
- WHO & Medical Education: Links to descriptions of activities, reports, news and events & WHO Directory of Medical Schools
- Statistics at square one ;
- Archives of ;
- Evidence Based learning;
- Articles on Undergraduate Medical Education ;
- Other Articles on Medical Education;
ERIC There are now more than 100,000 documents in ERIC® that can be downloaded for free by anyone, on demand.
The International Handbook of Research in Medical Education: a book in 2 volumes containing review of current research findings and contemporary issues in health sciences education
Free Medical Journals :
- MedIND Biomedical Journals from India ; : More Indian journals
- NEJM Free access for developing countries
- HighWire Press site of Stanford University
- The Geneva Foundation site ;
- Bioline International site ;
- Free Medical Journals site ;
- The PubMedCentral open list ;
- E-Resources of the University of Mississippi Medical Center
- JAMA Archives ;
SCHOLARSHIP DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
- : BMA links to the Vancouver and Harvard styles of referencing articles in journal and book publications.
- Uniform Requirement for Manuscripts submitted to Biomedical Journals: International Committee of Medical Journal Editors site
- Adopted by the 3rd General Assembly of the World Medical Association, London, England, October 1949 covering duties of Physicians in general, thse towards patients and colleagues etc.
- it helps prepare medical students and physicians to better navigate through the many ethical challenges we face in our daily practice
- Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects
- Journal of Medical Ethics From the BMJ stable , this journal seeks to promote ethical reflection and conduct in scientific research and medical practice
MEDICAL EDUCATION JOURNALS Links to Medical Educations that are freely available on-line and those that require a subscription.
EDUCATION TOOLS Links that are a wealth of resources to tools used in improving student learning:
- is a resource designed to help faculty publish and share educational resources. It is designed to promote collaboration and educational scholarship by facilitating the open exchange of peer-reviewed teaching resources such as tutorials, virtual patients, cases, lab manuals, assessment instruments, faculty development materials, etc
- Bloom’s Taxonomy useful for understanding and framing learning objectives & planning student assessment
- Workbook for constructing - UNM downloadable Pdf Doc; links
- (San DiegoState Uni) : a collection of short multimedia articles on a variety of topics related to the fields of instructional design and education and training. The primary audiences for the EET are students and novice to intermediate practitioners in these fields, who need a brief overview as a starting point to further research on specific topics
Please send your favourite medical website links …the websites you often visit …..which you think will help other doctors also…many of our fellow doctors are unaware of such websites…