Dandruff is a harmless condition that involves an acceleration in the normal shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp.This dead skin accumulates as white flakes in the hair and sometimes causes itching. The condition is most common in young adults
What Causes Dandruff?
It is believed by dermatologists that dandruff is caused by a tiny fungus, the yeast. Pityrosporum ovale that grows in the scalp. Another possible cause may be overactive oil glands on the scalp due to the clogging of the oil glands on the scalp. These clogged pores lead to flaking of the skin. The cause can be either internal or external. The internal cause may be due to hormonal imbalances, stress, poor health, poor hygiene, allergy and improper nutrition, while external causes include excessive use of hair sprays and gel, improper shampooing, improper use of hair coloring products and hair drier, cold weather and excessive consumption of sugar, fat or starch.
Some myths about dandruff
Dandruff is contagious.
False.You can’t ‘catch’ dandruff from someone else,such as by using his/her brush or comb.
Dandruff is due to dryness of the skin.
False. Dandruff is caused due to shedding of dead cells of the scalp.In fact,dandruff occurs in areas where the grease glands of the skin are most active and the skin is not usually dry.
1.While washing hair, apply fresh limejuice,as it removes stickiness and dandruff.
2. Sour curd (yogurt) applied on the scalp and washed after 30 min will help to do away with dandruff.
3. Wash hair with neem leaves in boiling water or weak salt water to check fall and dandruff.
4. Mix 8 tbsp of groundnut oil with lemon juice and rub the mixture on the scalp,leave for half an hour and then wash as usual.
Foods that should be avoided are starchy, meats sugar, strong tea or coffee, condiments, pickles, refined and processed foods should be avoided. Refined carbohydrates in white flour or sugar should be avoided because they deplete the body of B vitamins. Sometimes an allergy to dairy products such as chocolate, nuts and shellfish may cause dandruff.
There are many treatments available to manage and control dandruff. Nutritional supplements,take more green vegetables,salad, fruits,milk,curd and sprouted in the diet. Herbal oil and anti-dandruff shampoos offer new options but each of these treatments works differently for every individual.
Following homoeopathic medicines are useful, but for final selection of homoeopathic medicine consult the homoeopathic physician.
- Ars.Alb. Scalp itches intolerably; circular patches of bare spots; rough, dirty, sensitive, and covered with dry scales; nightly burning and itching; dandruff. Scalp very sensitive; cannot brush hair.
- Ammonium Mur. Hair falls out, with itching and dandruff.
- Calcarea Sul. Dandruff on the scalp causing eruptions with thick yellow crusts; eczema; also pimples due to dandruff; falling of hair.
- Carboneum Sul. Dandruff on the scalp; eruptions crusts; eczema; itching; moist scaly pimples, sore and painful.
- Graphites. Herpetic dandruff (dandruff accompanied with eczema or other eruptions). Scalp scaly with distressing itching, humid. Falling of hair. Burning on vertex.
- Kali Sul. Yellow dandruff, bald spot
- Mezerium. Dandruff with great itching and loss of hair.
- Nat Mur. White dandruff, alternating with catarrh or loss of smell.
- Phosphorus. Itching of scalp, dandruff, falling of hair in large bunches.
- Psorinum. Dandruff smells badly.Humid eruption on scalp; hair matted. Hair dry.
- Sanicula. Scaly dandruff over the scalp, eye-brows and other hairy parts.
- Sepia. Dandruff in circles, like ringworm. Moist scalp; hair falls out; pimples on forehead near hair.
- Thuja. Falling of hair due to dry white scaly dandruff.
Dr.Kulbhushan juneja D.H.M.S & Dr.(Mrs) Renu juneja D.H.M.S
Bhushan Homoeopathic Clinic,BATHINDA PB.151005. INDIA
web site: www.homoeopathicadvisor.com