Dr Subrata K Banerjea
Approach – a: contaminated drug dependent cases: cases without clarity of symptoms:
i) In drug dependent asthma cases, when the patient is on an inhaler and/or steroids; in such cases it is very difficult to get a clear picture of the case. The artificial chronic disease is superimposed on the original natural disease (Aphorsim 91), therefore symptoms are contaminated or suppressed and the patient cannot give a clear picture e.g., modalities, etc. In such cases, homoeopathic bronchodilators e.g., Aralia Racemosa, Blatta Orientalis, Aspidosperma, Cassia Sophera, Eriodictyon, Pothos Foetidus etc., can be prescribed on the basis of few available symptoms (according to §173–§178, Ref. Organon of Medicine) and gradually the conventional allopathic bronchodilator is withdrawn [Subrata asks the patient to sip the homoeopathic bronchodilator medicine prescribed on the basis of few available symptoms in those drug-dependant asthma cases, therefore considering the partial symptomatic similarity in accordance with §173–§178. So when the patient is out of breath and in need of conventional bronchodilator, patient takes the homoeopathic medicine and tries to defer the conventional medicine as much as s/he can. In this way, a steroid dependent patient who used to take steroid/inhaler 8 hourly; can, with the help of homoeopathic medicine now defer the steroids to 12 hourly, then 24 hourly and so on. In this way the conventional medication/inhaler etc is gradually weaned off].
In the same way, for pain killer dependent Migraine cases, the artificial chronic disease is superimposed on the original natural disease, therefore symptoms are contaminated or suppressed and the patient cannot give a clear picture for a constitutional medicine as well as the modalities of the pain are masked. Therefore, the following medicines can be selected on the basis of few available symptoms, e.g., Acetanilidum, Anagyris, Bromium, Chionanthus Virginica, Epiphegus, Ferrum Pyro-Phosphoricum, Indium, Iris Versicolor, Kalmia Latifolia, Lac Defloratum, Melilotus, Menispernum, Menynanthes, Oleum Animale, Onosmodium, Saponin, Usnea Barbata, Yucca Filamentosa. Accordingly the conventional allopathic pain killer is gradually withdrawn and after approximately 50% weaning off of the conventional medicine, suppressed symptoms surface and now the patient can give much clearer modalities. This will lead to making a change in the plan of treatment and on the basis of `MTEK’ a constitutional prescription can now be made.
Similar example for Drug Dependent Hypertensive cases where the following medicines (Allium Sativa, Crataegus Oxyacantha, Eel Serum, Ergotinum, Lycopus Virginicus, Rauwolfia Serpentina, Spartium Scoparium, Strophanthus Hispidus) are capable of gradually weaning off the conventional medication.
ii) Generally experience shows after approximately 50% weaning off of the conventional medicine, suppressed symptoms surface and now the patient can give much clearer modalities. This will lead to making a change in the plan of treatment and on the basis of `MTEK’ a constitutional prescription can now be made. Through this approach, not only does the patient gain immediate confidence that homoeopathy works, but can also wean off the conventional medication to certain extent.
Therefore in this way the conventional medicine is gradually weaned-off and I give full control in the hand of the patient (as the patient is also aware of the side effects of the chemicals of the conventional medicine and wants to wean-off them). Giving the “weaning off power” in the hand of the patient, makes him/her feel that s/he is taking control of what s/he is taking and therefore patients will power of weaning-off the conventional medicine work as well towards raising of patient’s energy level. I do not advice exactly how much to wean-off because that should be guided by the G.P. But as I give the control in the hand of the patient, therefore, get a disclaimer sign by the patient, as below:
(Homoeopathic Consultation with Dr. Subrata K. Banerjea)
I understand that Homoeopathy is a safe complementary system of medicine and it works gently to stimulate the body’s own healing power.
I understand that there is no recommendation by the Homoeopath to stop, vary, reduce or change any medication prescribed by my G.P. and/or Consultant and if I intend to do so, that will be at my own choice and my concerned Homoeopath will not be liable for any consequences thereof.
Eight homoeopathic broncho-dialators: to wean-off conventional medication
1) AMYL. NITROSUM: (i) Asthmatic dyspnoea with angina.
(ii) Chest:- (a) Oppression,(b) Fullness, (c) Suffocation.
(iii) Anxiety : must have fresh air.
(iv) Cough:-(a) Spasmodic, (b) Suffocative, (c) Paroxysmal.
(v) Constriction:- (a) Throat, (b) Chest, (c) Larynx.
(vi) Manifestation:- (a) Pulsation, (b) Oppression, (c) Constriction.
Miasmatics: Psora (++)-Sycotic(+)- Syphilis (+)- Tubercular (+) Potency of Choice: Q, 6 C.
2) ARALIA RACEMOSA:
A = Asthma with wheezing. R = Right lung : affected
A = Agg. at 2 A.M. L = Lying agg.
I = Inspiration is difficult A = A f.b. (foreign-body) sensation.
(i) Wheezing in throat. Constriction in chest and throat with a sensation of foreign body in the throat. (ii) Inspiration is difficult than expiration. (iii) Cough < after lying, < 2 A.M. (iv) Expectoration is salty and hot.
Miasmatics: Psora (++)-Sycotic(++)- Syphilis (+)- Tubercular (++) Potency of Choice: Q, 6 C; 1M.
3) ASPIDOSPERMA: (i) Want of breath during exertion is the guiding symptom. (ii) Useful in Cardiac asthma. (iii) It is the Digitalis of the lungs : broncho-dilatation.
Miasmatics: Psoric (++)- Syco(++). Potency of Choice: Q, 30 C ;1M.
4) BLATTA ORIENTALIS: (i) Doctrine of Signature: Cockroach lives in cracks and crevices; in damp shady places, therefore it is a wonderful medicine for Asthma for people who lives or works in damp basements, cellars, etc. damp dwelling. Aggravation from damp and rainy weather. (ii) Asthma with bronchitis, especially indicated after Arsenic when this is insufficient. (iii) Acts best, in stout, or corpulent persons.Seem to act on patients who have a tendency to obesity. (iv) Much pus like mucus. (v) After the spasm. for the remaining cough use higher, stop with improvement.
Miasmatics: Psora (++)-Sycotic(+++). Potency of Choice: Q, 30 C ; 1M.
5) CASSIA SOPHERA: (i) Skin diseases (like dandruff, eczema, itching, ringworm etc.) are associated with bronchial troubles. (ii) More the cough (in asthmatic patients) and more it is a painful and distressing cough, better it is indicated. (iii) Asthmatic symptoms with rattling of mucus in the throat but not much expulsion. (iv) Aggravates during rainy and winter season, (v) < later part of the evening and past mid-night, towards early morning, better by sitting up. Note:- Cassia sophera is antidoted by smoking or chewing tobacco, so patients, should avoid them during medication.
Miasmatics: Psora (++) -Syco(+++) – Syphilitic, Potency of Choice: Q, 30 C;1M.
6) ERIODICTYON GLUTINOSUM: (i) Bronchitis followed by tubercular cough. (ii) Profuse nocturnal sweat and spasm > by expectoration. (iii) Cough after influenza.
Miasmatics: Psora (++)-Sycotic(++)- Syphilis (+)- Tubercular (+++), Potency of Choice: Q, 30 C.
7) POTHOS FOETIDUS: (i) For asthmatic complaints, which is caused and are made worse from inhaling any dust. (ii) Difficult, troublesome respiration; oppression with perspiration. Anguish with oppression. (iii) Asthmatic symptoms are better by passing stool. (iv) Deep acting Syco-Psoric remedy
Miasmatics: Psora (++)-Sycotic(++)- Tubercular (+), Potency of Choice: Q, 30 C ; 1M ( For Allergic Broncho-spasm).
8) SOLIDAGO VIRGA:
(i) Periodical asthma with nightly dysuria. (ii) 15 dps doses promotes expectoration in bronchitis and bronchial asthma, in old people. (iii) Expectoration:- (a) Profuse, (b) Blood stinged.
Miasmatics: Psora (++)-Sycotic(++)- Syphilis (+)- Tubercular (+++).
Potency of Choice: Q, 30 C.
Dispensing of the dose of Homoeopathic broncho-dialators:When the patient is out of breath and in need of conventional bronchodilator, patient can take any of the above homoeopathic medicine (or any other medicine, in accordance with the few symptomatic similarity) and tries to defer the conventional medicine as much as s/he can. In this way, a steroid dependent patient who used to take steroid/inhaler 8 hourly; can, with the help of homoeopathic medicine now defer the steroids to 12 hourly, then 24 hourly and so on. In this way the conventional medication/inhaler etc is gradually weaned off].
Download the full article : www.similima.com/pdf/drug-dependant-asthma.pdf